.45 Colt pet loads...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like TrailBoss for light loads. You can see it in the case, a double charge is very obvious. Great powder for .45ACP and just about anything else, unless you want warthog loads.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7.6 grains of Autocomp. Tried this loading with the 255 grain lswc. Just five shots, but it seemed to be close (just aiming at a rock about 10 yards away.) Not a whole lot of kick and no leading in the barrel. Primers seemed like they might have flattened a tad, but nothing to really indicate overpressure. I'll have to work up more and put them on paper to really see what I have.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, looks like reloading will be on hold for a while...damn scales won't give tries reading now. Figures. Thanks for the replies and advice.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you using digital scales?
Some lights will interfere with those digital ones.. yes the lights.

I use a 505 beam scale.. before that i loaded 1000's of rounds with the Lee scale.

I actually tested some loads in different calibers. I found a sweet spot and made a scooper to fill the cases to that weight and volume.

I kid you not I made some very accurate ammo. scooped not weighed. I have one load that scooped it is more accurate than weighing.

Sometimes it is all about volume.

I load for Muzzleloader and you fill by volume.. well I figured i would weigh that Volume and make all charges weigh the same.

My accuracy was not as good when weighed.
Lee makes scoopers .My lee dies come with them.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, it was/is a digital scale. It started just jumping up in grain weight even when no powder was being put in. For example, 7.4 grains would climb without any outside stimulus. I changed to new batteries, calibrated it several times and it still does it. It's a cheap Frankfort Arsenal, but it did work well in the last couple years. Maybe it just gave up?

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "dippers." I have a couple little yellow things that are stamped .5cc that could be termed dippers....I have never used them to just straight fill a case, only to add powder to the cup on the scale. If memory serves, I then no they usually averaged around 6.3 grains of Autocomp. Then of course I dip them again to get more powder to bring it up to whatever I'm after.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes those are Lee Dippers.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit

For light recoil close up loads I used that .5cc and 231 or sometimes bullseye powder with cast 200 gr bullets in my 45 colt.

Great for kicking cans around the yard.
I made other dippers from pistol cases to match the weight on the scale..

I ended up trickling into the dipper to overflowing and taking a paper business card and level it off flush.

This would give me the most consistent results.
Takes way to long to load pistol if I must weigh every one.

But like I said I tested the dipped loads vs weighed and the dipped were more accurate many times.

I use a lee disc measure for my 45acp.. and Bullseye powder .. it will never vary more than 1/2 a tenth.

I use an rcbs uniflow II that I polished for my BL-C(2) powder it sticks it right on the same tenth of a grain every time.
That is for my .223.
I toss a pan full and onto the 505 beam to weigh it. then into a case.
After over 100 times weighing and getting the same exact measurement I only weigh 3 or so now.. and inspect cases while they are in the loading block.

Do you have a good loading block for the 45 colt?

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I might need to look at getting one of the sets. It would make it go faster. I have a Lee reloading press and I'm just getting into load development for the .45 Colt. Hopefully I can develop one that I like and set the powder throw for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom