Advice on a 1911 purchase, newbie overload.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, I am a medical student with school poring out my ears and it seems just the time to open pandoras box and venture into the 1911 world.

I've read almost every thread here about brands and options, read alot of threads on glocktalk 1911 section, and a few other sides and now have hit a waterfall of information overload, so please help!

I am looking for a 1911 that doesn't need a lot of work and general maintenance, that can serve nightstand duty with the occasionally CCW.
Budget: Out the door + tax totalled ~$950

First: Colt XSE O1980/O1070 - Blued/SS 5" Gov't 1911
I honestly like the idea of Colts and the nastalgia of their history plus I shot my father-in-law's a few months ago and liked it. I like the blued, but have no idea how tough it actually is so I would be interested in the stainless steel too.
Everyone local seems to be out and not expecting any for a while, but I've seen some decent deals with high rated people on Gunbroker.

Second: Smith & Wesson ????
These I have heard great things about and are 2nd on my list, but all the options are overwhelming and I have no clue where to start.
Looked local and can't seem to find many.

Third: Springfield Armory Range Officer
Looks good, but I like the parkerized or blued look and this isnt offered in that. I also am wary of SA after watching a friend go to hell and back over a manufacturer defected gun.
Looked local and found a few at outrageous prices.

I realize alot comes down to opinion, but any help will be awesome!

J. Holly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am getting into the 1911 world myself. I have stayed toward the polymer stuff for daily carry, but now, I find myself going towards the .45 cartridge again.

I am not new to the 1911 platform, but within the last year, I bought a RI off of a friend, and it is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot. I then decided that it was a bit big for daily carry. I bought a Kimber Pro Covert II for daily carry, and I really like it. I just found a line on a SA Loaded Champion and will be picking that up soon.

My tastes gravitate towards a high end product like a Wilson or Nighthawk, but my pocket book won't allow that right now with the other projects I am working on.

I have done research on a lot of the 1911 platforms, and Colt IS nice, but so is S&W, RIA, SIG, Wilson, Les Baer, SA, Kimber, STI, and the COUNTLESS custom manufacturers out there. I just wish I could find a Rock River 1911.

Good luck with your hunting.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My choice for HD AND CCW would be the S&W 1911 PD Tactical Rail Series (SKU: 108293) http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

This would allow you to mount a tactical light for HD and still have a lightweight carry gun when needed.

For CCW, the regular 1911 PD would be a better choice (SKU: 108283) http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

and for straight HD, the standard railed 1911 would be better (SKU: 108303) http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

A good street price on these would be about 80% of MSRP, which would put all of them under a grand before tax. There was a really nice 108293 on here a little over month ago for $800 that I desperately wanted to grab, but unfortunately I was gun poor at the time.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with you on the Colt. Haven't shot one for many years, but there's a lot of history behind them. If you've shot one and liked it, then it's probably the gun for you. Colts also pack a decent resell value, so you're not taking much risk.

Chris Derrick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, I am a medical student with school poring out my ears and it seems just the time to open pandoras box and venture into the 1911 world.

I've read almost every thread here about brands and options, read alot of threads on glocktalk 1911 section, and a few other sides and now have hit a waterfall of information overload, so please help!

I am looking for a 1911 that doesn't need a lot of work and general maintenance, that can serve nightstand duty with the occasionally CCW.
Budget: Out the door + tax totalled ~$950

First: Colt XSE O1980/O1070 - Blued/SS 5" Gov't 1911
I honestly like the idea of Colts and the nastalgia of their history plus I shot my father-in-law's a few months ago and liked it. I like the blued, but have no idea how tough it actually is so I would be interested in the stainless steel too.
Everyone local seems to be out and not expecting any for a while, but I've seen some decent deals with high rated people on Gunbroker.

Second: Smith & Wesson ????
These I have heard great things about and are 2nd on my list, but all the options are overwhelming and I have no clue where to start.
Looked local and can't seem to find many.

Third: Springfield Armory Range Officer
Looks good, but I like the parkerized or blued look and this isnt offered in that. I also am wary of SA after watching a friend go to hell and back over a manufacturer defected gun.
Looked local and found a few at outrageous prices.

I realize alot comes down to opinion, but any help will be awesome!

Congrats! I have been lost for weeks jump in! lol:friday:

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now a completely off the wall question to add:

1911 or AR-15? Another deep world I am venturing in to. I'd use the 1911 more for nightstand and carry, but the AR-15 would be a good home defense/farm defense gun.

And if AR-15, which is another can of worms, what a good base model to start with

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd get a used Dan Wesson. They can be had for $800.

Really? Where?? Please post a link.

There is nothing wrong with external extractors on a 1911 if properly setup. Problem is..... S&W doesn't. The set up their guns improperly and the extractor sits too high on the rim. This usually doesn't show up on low round count guns but apparently it causes issues in higher round count guns per Hilton Yam.

My suggestions would be Colt, Sig, DW, and Springfield.

taymoor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now a completely off the wall question to add:

1911 or AR-15? Another deep world I am venturing in to. I'd use the 1911 more for nightstand and carry, but the AR-15 would be a good home defense/farm defense gun.

And if AR-15, which is another can of worms, what a good base model to start with

If you already have two glocks, one bedside and one baby, why wouldn't you want an ar15? They are a whole new world of experiences. A modular highly customizable plastic rifle to compliment your plastic guns. The 1911 can wait (for a very short while). Just my two cents on your situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom