Airport Pat-Downs: TSA Says it Can Fine You for Backing Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WTH? Does the TSA suddenly believe they are the "Teh Police Force of TUH WURLDZ". How can you fine someone $11k for doing absolutely nothing wrong? That's like making a law that fines people $11k if they don't consent to having a police officer search their property without a warrant. At that point they are INNOCENT. To everyone's knowledge, they have done nothing wrong.

Total BS.

Oh, and Adam Savage (Yes, from Mythbusters) accidentally brought two 12" razor blades on a plane. Made it right through the full body scanner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yaqq9Jjb4
Thats a comedy routine. Not credible as much as I like Adam Savage.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get groped or pay $11,000? I'd love to get some gropping cases.

I hate to say it JB, but you'd loose every one of them. :(

Neil Bortz said on his program today that if you went through the pat down to immediately request a private room. Then ask for a supervisor......when the supervisor got there, ask for a police officer to be in attendance also. When all were in the room, tell the TSA person that if at any time you felt you were touched inappropriately, that you would file charges for sexual assault.

That will not work either. You'll either submit to the pat down, or you will not fly, period. think you're going to file charges? There are laws in place to prevent you from filing frivilous charges against federal security screeners in performance of their duties. Do you really think they're going to exceed their scope of authority in front of a supervisor and a police officer? in this case, Boortz is an idiot. Don't like it? Go Greyhound! :)

WTH? Does the TSA suddenly believe they are the "Teh Police Force of TUH WURLDZ". How can you fine someone $11k for doing absolutely nothing wrong? That's like making a law that fines people $11k if they don't consent to having a police officer search their property without a warrant. At that point they are INNOCENT. To everyone's knowledge, they have done nothing wrong.

Total BS.

I love all these threads where everyone believes that the TSA makes up whatever they want. The fine schedule RANGES from $0 to $11,000. No one will ever actually be fined $11,000 for refusing screening. That's the top of the range and we use "progressive enforcement" policies. Bring a loaded gun into my checkpoint? I'll send you a love letter for $3000. Switchblade? $250 Undeclared firearm in checked baggage? $1500. If you're cooperative and pay within 30 days, we'll be reasonable and accept 50% as payment in full. I've yet to see a passenger win a case under these circumstances.

Airline fines range from $0 to $27,500.

BTW, these fine schedules have been in place since well before the TSA was ever created. The FAA used these for years before 9/11. TSA didn't just make this up. Yet y'all let a bunch of idiot media types get you all spun up about nothing. You know how wrong they can be on gun issues, yet you believe them whenever they bash something you don't like? Do you really think they suddenly got it right? :ugh2:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what your peers have told the media they're afraid of. Apparently you're safe from layoffs, though. :)

My '"peers" are not afraid that everyone will stampede to the bus station. The media is the one saying that everyone is up in arms, but that's not what we're actually seeing here at the airport. Once again, the media speaks and everyone is suddenly a believer! :tounge:

striker754

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to say it JB, but you'd loose every one of them. :(

That will not work either. You'll either submit to the pat down, or you will not fly, period. think you're going to file charges? There are laws in place to prevent you from filing frivilous charges against federal security screeners in performance of their duties. Do you really think they're going to exceed their scope of authority in front of a supervisor and a police officer? in this case, Boortz is an idiot. Don't like it? Go Greyhound! :)

I love all these threads where everyone believes that the TSA makes up whatever they want. The fine schedule RANGES from $0 to $11,000. No one will ever actually be fined $11,000 for refusing screening. That's the top of the range and we use "progressive enforcement" policies. Bring a loaded gun into my checkpoint? I'll send you a love letter for $3000. Switchblade? $250 Undeclared firearm in checked baggage? $1500. If you're cooperative and pay within 30 days, we'll be reasonable and accept 50% as payment in full. I've yet to see a passenger win a case under these circumstances.

BTW, these fine schedules have been in place since well before the TSA was ever created. The FAA used these for years before 9/11. TSA didn't just make this up. Yet y'all let a bunch of idiot media types get you all spun up about nothing. You know how wrong they can be on gun issues, yet you believe them whenever they bash something you don't like? Do you really think they suddenly got it right? :ugh2:

You are violating the rights of Americans, but it's ok because you're just doing your job right? :thumbup3:

How long until body cavity searches?

All in the name of unjustified fear designed to try and control the public and line the pockets of Michael Chertoff.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a comedy routine. Not credible as much as I like Adam Savage.

That I didn't know. Not that surprising, though, I guess.

I don't have a problem with people getting fined for trying to bring banned items on a plane, or even because they "forget" they had them. That's the penalty for not following rules. What worried me was the first hand account from someone where he was basically threatened with a huge fine unless he submitted to something he really didn't have to submit to (he could back out and not fly at all). I have to admit, my first thought initially was in line with your response. Something like "Yeah, right, like they are ever actually going to fine some $11k for that".

I understand that the laws may have been around for awhile and may be kind of nuts. There are crazy laws/rules like that everywhere. Heck, there are websites devoted to them because some of them are so comical. However, I don't like it when those types of things are used as scare tactics.

Maybe they told him that out of frustration because he was being a d-bag (which is totally possible), who knows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom