Airport Pat-Downs: TSA Says it Can Fine You for Backing Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBaldy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thomas Sawyer, a bladder cancer survivor, said he was humiliated after a pat-down broke his urostomy bag, leaving the 61-year-old covered in his own urine. Sawyer said he warned the TSA officials twice that the pat-down could break the seal.

Cathy Bossi, a long-time flight attendant and breast cancer survivor, said the TSA made her take off her prosthetic breast.

"She put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?' I said 'It's a prosthesis because I've had a breast cancer,'" Bossi said. "And she said, 'You'll need to show me that.'"

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Depres...-airports-people-prosthetic/story?id=12227882

TSA's not violating anyone with these searches ABC reported, eh?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Real federal government consumption expenditures and gross investment increased 8.9 percent in the third quarter, compared with an increase of 9.1 percent in the second. National defense increased 8.5 percent, compared with an increase of 7.4 percent. Nondefense increased 9.5 percent, compared
with an increase of 12.8 percent. Real state and local government consumption expenditures and gross investment increased 0.8 percent, compared with an increase of 0.6 percent.

There is why.

Bzzzt, try again. Consumer spending was up 2.2% in Q3.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But the terrorists always do turn their attention elsewhere, albiet not away from aviation, but to different methods of attack. TSA is a reactionary agency; blades were used first, so no more pocket knives, etc., for the average passenger forever. Then shoes. Take off your shoes, and only small amounts of liquids for the average passenger forever. Then it was the skivvies, and now their checking everyone's skivvies and "personal" areas. Ever notice the terrorists never revisit the same thing that didn't work the first time? They move on and try something else - something that taking off one's shoes or feeling up someones twig & berries more than likely won't catch - the terrorists are smarter than our government. But the average passenger is going to get screwed with more and more, as the thugs figure out a different angle of attack.

I sure as hell hope they don't try a bomb up their poop-chute next, as we are planning a trip to St. John Island next summer. If they do, I'm sure the geniouses in our government will declare that they now have to look up everyone's tailpipe to "keep the public safe". If that happens, I'm staying home.

My second sentence about body cavity searches was serious. Let me direct you here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/28/eveningnews/main5347847.shtml

And a quote:

Like someone said, TSA is purely a reactionary agency. What happens when someone blows a plane up with a bomb in their ass? "Sorry sir but you have to bend over and let me put my finger in your ass before you can get on this plane"

Regarding Chertoff:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/23/fear_pays_chertoff_n_787711.html

Anyone with a brain can see that security holes are massive at airports. To say that TSA does an effective job of preventing terrorism is a giant joke.

It already happened last year. Ikrimah Al-Muhajir (the designer of the most recent printer bomb) of AQIM in Yemen sent his brother Muhammad on a failed suicide mission to kill Saudi Prince Muhammad bin Nayef in August 2009. I have an utterly gruesome presentation on the results of that failed attempt that's not fit for publication.

Yes TSA is reactionary, but you'd be surprised how much effort is spent on attempting to be proactive. So far our best assets have been foreign intel and the terrorists ineptitude. That ineptitued is fueled by their lack of understanding our assets and capabilities. Changing protocols and requirements helps keep them off balance and unsure of what might succeed(and the travelling public as an unfortunate side effect).

GDP is up, not down.

Unemployment is up and consumer confidence is down. That drives airline sales more than the GDP. However, passenger numbers at TUL are up from 2009 figures.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Depres...-airports-people-prosthetic/story?id=12227882

TSA's not violating anyone with these searches ABC reported, eh?

These are inexcusable mistakes if accurate, but they're not civil rights violations. Civil right violations would be searches outside the scope of authority, which these are not.

What we have are 5 high profile isolated incidents in the past two weeks, two of which so far have been proven false. In that time frame, we've had approximately 20 MILLION passenger departures at US airports. Seems like a tempest in a teacup, stirred with a healthy dose of media feeding frenzy if you ask me.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes TSA is reactionary, but you'd be surprised how much effort is spent on attempting to be proactive. So far our best assets have been foreign intel and the terrorists ineptitude.
So are you suggesting that TSA has foreign intelligence assets, or is that all CIA/NSA/etc. stuff? Because if it's the latter, you don't get to claim that TSA is being proactive based on what other outfits are doing.

As to the "ineptitude," that's pretty much the definition of reactive: learning from what they've done wrong. Seems like we've had more events stopped by alert passengers after the TSA let them through than the TSA has actually stopped. All the TSA has done is annoy those alert passengers, and give a (false) sense of security to the rest of them. Oh, and if the news reports are to be believed, allowed foot-long razor blades through.

Gotta love those professional, competent federal employees. Just wait until they unionize!

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If men search men, and women search women, it must be because of the sexual orientation. Well, in that case, if a man is going to search me, I must know if he is gay or straight, because if he is gay, I'm looking up JB. Not that I want ANY man frisking me.

What I find really amusing is, if you set off the metal detector because of metal in your body, they pull you aside automatically and search you. They don't use wands anymore, how do they find the metal? If they don't find the metal because it is deep in your body, do they let you go anyway? If they let you go anyway, why did they pull you over to begin with? Then why don't they just use wands to scan those people? I guess they just really want to get up in there business.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If men search men, and women search women, it must be because of the sexual orientation. Well, in that case, if a man is going to search me, I must know if he is gay or straight, because if he is gay, I'm looking up JB. Not that I want ANY man frisking me.

What I find really amusing is, if you set off the metal detector because of metal in your body, they pull you aside automatically and search you. They don't use wands anymore, how do they find the metal? If they don't find the metal because it is deep in your body, do they let you go anyway? If they let you go anyway, why did they pull you over to begin with? Then why don't they just use wands to scan those people? I guess they just really want to get up in there business.

Pretty soon, they won't let you fly with metal in your body. After all, that titanium femur could really be a 10lb RDX bomb with an altimeter and (maybe) GPS receiver.

MrBaldy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are inexcusable mistakes if accurate, but they're not civil rights violations. Civil right violations would be searches outside the scope of authority, which these are not.

What we have are 5 high profile isolated incidents in the past two weeks, two of which so far have been proven false. In that time frame, we've had approximately 20 MILLION passenger departures at US airports. Seems like a tempest in a teacup, stirred with a healthy dose of media feeding frenzy if you ask me.

According to your belief, what search would be "... outside the scope of authority ..." if any? And let's hope these mistakes as you call them don't happen to your mother or father, wife or daughter. I'm guessing you might think they were violations of some sort at that point.

You know those 5 or so that you mention that have been violated should have some rights even if 19,999,995 others traveled safely. Hey I know, let's call them civil rights.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to your belief, what search would be "... outside the scope of authority ..." if any? And let's hope these mistakes as you call them don't happen to your mother or father, wife or daughter. I'm guessing you might think they were violations of some sort at that point.

You know those 5 or so that you mention that have been violated should have some rights even if 19,999,995 others traveled safely. Hey I know, let's call them civil rights.

Decency is out. Political correctness is in. I've heard several of our older citizens asking what happened to the freedom they fought for in WWII, Korea and elsewhere. Unfortunately most people are going to figure its only a 3% chance I'll get the pat down so its better to just go along with it.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back two days ago from a trip to the Republic of Kalifornia. I did not get padded down going out, but on the way back, I think I set off the alarm because I bumped it. I was put in the plastic scanning cage, some guy that did not look like a US citizen, blocked the door with his suit case. The door was then locked, they let me out, and padded down my upper half.

But you know what, that is okay. People, get over it. I would rather they do that than let some guy get by with something that would put me in danger. I felt a little odd walking around the Republic of kalifornia unarmed. But just think those poor people walk around every day like that. If it was not for the added security I guess we could not call it terror. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got back two days ago from a trip to the Republic of Kalifornia. I did not get padded down going out, but on the way back, I think I set off the alarm because I bumped it. I was put in the plastic scanning cage, some guy that did not look like a US citizen, blocked the door with his suit case. The door was then locked, they let me out, and padded down my upper half.

But you know what, that is okay. People, get over it. I would rather they do that than let some guy get by with something that would put me in danger. I felt a little odd walking around the Republic of kalifornia unarmed. But just think those poor people walk around every day like that. If it was not for the added security I guess we could not call it terror. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

+1

Last time I checked, it was still a choice they made to take a flight..... You don't like the hoops to jump through, don't fly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom