Anyone have experience with Winchester Super X 22LR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience it is awful stuff, I know every 22 can be different but in the three guns I have it always has at least 1 or 2 hang ups every mag. For the first time in a year I got to shoot some really good 22 some CI branded stuff and some CCI (not even the mini mag) and was just shocked at how well it preformed. This ammo shortage is sooo annoying.

Anyways the Super X seems to have an over large projectile which impedes it from feeding. Also the case seems to be rough compared to some ammo which again causes feed problems and extraction issues.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience it is awful stuff, I know every 22 can be different but in the three guns I have it always has at least 1 or 2 hang ups every mag. For the first time in a year I got to shoot some really good 22 some CI branded stuff and some CCI (not even the mini mag) and was just shocked at how well it preformed. This ammo shortage is sooo annoying.

Anyways the Super X seems to have an over large projectile which impedes it from feeding. Also the case seems to be rough compared to some ammo which again causes feed problems and extraction issues.

I steer away from Winchester .22 LR ammo in general.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some of it, but only shoot it in a casual atmosphere.
I shoot matches pretty regular using CCI Stingers or Federal Bulk. (really hard to find at a reasonable price).
My guns don't like Rem gold either. Lots of duds.

We have gone down this road before, and some report great success with Rem. I don't.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only gun I would consider myself a collector of is ruger mark pistols. The first one I got was a blued MKII Gov't target model and came with a brick of Winchester super x .22lr. I would have a few hang ups on the feed ramp per mag of that gun...and multiple others to follow so I agree that its pretty crappy ammo. I even tried a magazine mod for the mark IIs that is supposed to improve feeding with little success.

I tend to favor Federal Auto Match because it can usually be found at a reasonable price and feeds just fine in my guns.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some Super X that I bought when ammo was virtually unavailable. I've never used any yet. I'll probably reserve it for my revolver. My go-to stuff is CCI and Federal.

I bought 2 500+ round boxes of Rem Golden Bullets back in the early 2000's. I've never had worse luck with any kind of bullet. They would even fail in a S&W 617 I had at the time. I gave one box away and still have some of the other box.

Craig3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester 22 is for the most part pretty bad. I had good luck with the M22 stuff in a ruger 22/45, but the rest seems to be problematic. I prefer cci and federal plain lead bullets

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought some Win X 22 in the red box. I've had good luck with them in the past. Red box > better than Win bulk . CCI in the box is the best stuff I have used in my firearms. Never have probs with them. Costs a little more ,worth it to me...

Still wanna try Aquila .22

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two different types of the winchester super X, the stuff that comes in the nice plastic cases 100 rounds per ran great, the stuff in the bulk box had a few dud rounds but when I picked up the 1000 round brick it ended up in the 5 to 6 cent per round range so hard to complain about really. Plus shooting with it gives good practice for feed and fire failure issues IMHO, lets you practice clearing issues as fast as possible which will matter a whole lot if you ever have an issue when it counts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom