Anyone have experience with Winchester Super X 22LR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two different types of the winchester super X, the stuff that comes in the nice plastic cases 100 rounds per ran great, the stuff in the bulk box had a few dud rounds but when I picked up the 1000 round brick it ended up in the 5 to 6 cent per round range so hard to complain about really. Plus shooting with it gives good practice for feed and fire failure issues IMHO, lets you practice clearing issues as fast as possible which will matter a whole lot if you ever have an issue when it counts.

I'm glad I have it but the bulk pack stuff should work. Just a bad product.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gosh! My favorite ammo for my 1953 vintage Marlin 39A has been Winchester Super X for 40+ years, but it's not as accurate in my Ruger 77/22. Not talking Winchester Wildcat, bulk, etc. I guess results will vary. I'm really liking the bulk Federals I'm shooting in the 77/22 now.

Cedar Creek

electriccowboy

Marksman
Reaction score
I have tons of 22 firearms and have shot 22's a lot.
Winchester hang ups and no fires. bent cases right out of the box. poor manufacturing
CCI good stuff works in all guns it seams to never have an issue.
Federal bulk runs good in most fire arms but you can get a box with some low pressure rounds.
This is not good for some guns and cause failure to feed.
Remington has allways had problems with not going bang. I have retried the round a # of times in the same gun and it not fire, then placed the round in a second gun and had it fire.
now for the stuff from over sea's what I have shot of it seams to work fine and go bang every time.
just a small tidbit for the ones looking for 22 ammo.
http://www.sgammo.com is in Stillwater OK
And they have 22 ammo in stock now

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Law of .22LR:

CCI > Federal > Win > Rem

Win Super-X falls in the "tolerable" category. I bought some back when the .22 shortage was at its worst. Adequate but not good reliability in semi-autos. Goes bang in my revolver. Groups are okay. A bit dirty. Not much to say beyond that.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Law of .22LR:

CCI > Federal > Win > Rem

Win Super-X falls in the "tolerable" category. I bought some back when the .22 shortage was at its worst. Adequate but not good reliability in semi-autos. Goes bang in my revolver. Groups are okay. A bit dirty. Not much to say beyond that.
My groupings with it were terrible. When I finally was able to buy some CI and CCI and shot them through my semi auto and revolver I found I could group so much better. I had forgotten how accurate a 22 can be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom