Beans and Cornbread Recipe.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight's supper is the best part of beans & cornbread - LEFTOVERS! A couple of days in the refrigerator bring those flavors together even better. The New Year's Day mix included pintos, navy, and black-eyed peas/beans using the hock from the double-smoked Christmas ham.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like a good meal of pintos, fried potatoes, chow chow or pickles, onions and cornbread but the gas is bad.
It's a masculine thing to expel gas loudly and with force but I can't insult the wife in doing this so I have to sneak out in the garage and let go. To stifle myself isn't good because nature can't take its normal course and I do not want an internal problem.
So I have to figure out how to eliminate gas from the beans. I've tried soaking them overnight , draining and filling with fresh water, tried putting a carrot in the pit but nothing works.
Does or has anyone had any success via other methods?

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trick is the pot liquor, the soupy liquid the beans rest in and the only good way I have found to get that mouth feel is a scoop or two of good old fashioned lard after slow cooking them.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my wife and I were just married she bought some Beano for me...she gave up.

Love beans and cornbread. Had some outstanding black eyed peas, but sadly no cornbread, for New Years.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does she cook the black-eyed peas?

This is a recipe she has used before:

Soak dried black eyed peas overnight per package directions . Drain and rinse.
Put ham bones, onion peel and bay leaves in a pressure cooker with 6 cups of water. Cook on high pressure for 20-30 minutes and let steam release naturally.
Remove ham bones, leaves and peel from liquid.
Add remaining ingredients to pressure cooker. Bring back to high pressure and cook for 10 minutes. Let steam release naturally .
Remove meat from bones and chop, add to peas.

She used yellow cornbread mix and added corn, jalapenos, and cheese to the mix.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.alliedkenco.com_images_products_detail_WILLIAMSPINTOBEANSEASONINGS.jpg
b3076b6ab7648cf3da1d0b5674644649.500
http://www.alliedkenco.com/seasoning-pintobean-williams.aspx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom