Bixby: toads and sand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, observation from new place in Bixby....

There are lots of toads...is that a Bixby thing or just a coincidence at my house? Like...there were 7 on the porch last night.

And sand...the yard seems to be really sandy....again, is that a Bixby thing or coincidence to the yard here?

About a mile or so south of Fat Boy for reference...

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toads are everywhere this year. They are at my house near Owasso and a friends house near Yukon. I would guess we are over populated because of the apocalypse or maybe the wetter than normal spring.

The sand is because you are near the river. You will notice sand companies on the river when you go over the bridge. They are always dredging sand near the Arkansas river bridge.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am at 101st south just North of Bixby and my yard is pure river sand. It can pour rain and the minute it stops there is no water standing anywhere. The only thing is I have to run my irrigation every other day because it won't hold moisture in the soil. I haven't seen toads here but we have lizards all over the place and they do a nice job of eating bugs. I have seen some tree frogs the last few days. My guess they are abundant this year due to flooding and so much rain in early summer. My kids found some tadpoles in neighbors water bucket and moved them to a tub and raised them at our house. They have 5 head of them.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We have lots of toads at my place in Edmond. My wife likes them for the big killin in the flower beds. I’ve even brought a few to the house. The years we have lots of toad the Rollie pollies and ants are non existent.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The place I moved from in BA had a toad or two...but these dudes in Bixby are all over. A few met their accidental demise while moving in as you cant see all the little buggers when carrying boxes, etc. Sounds like they're all over...I guess just not where I was in BA.
There WERE tons of rabbits at the place in BA which was fun to watch them play in the back yard.

I'll have to look up yard care for a more sandy soil.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I was just talking to the guy that sprays my lawn a few minutes ago. He took a tube and jammed it in the ground to get an sample to see how much moisture I had in it. It was 8 inches of pure sand with about an inch of sandy loam on top that actually has some moisture in it. After a while you get used to having sand on all your floor surfaces. I also have used buffs as a face mask for years when mowing. They keep all the crap out of your face. If you don't want a mouth full of sand grit.

If you want a nice lawn it will need lots of water. The nice thing is planted stuff grows in it very easily. I live in an older neighborhood but there are trees all over the place from 40-60ft. Anything the wife plants in her flower beds grows easily. You will want to get some good blades for your mower. I have some of the gator blades with with tungsten carbide on the edges and they have held up a full season without needing sharpening. If you want to use a service to treat your lawn I recommend Lawn America Bixby.

Latest posts

Top Bottom