Cochlear Implants??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just get the clearance from cardiologist in Enid to go through the CI procedure. I contacted the surgeon's office so all they have to do now is schedule it. While I don't exactly relish the idea of someone carving on my skull, the end result will be well-worth it.

Great news! So glad for you and, yes, it will be SO worth it!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just get the clearance from cardiologist in Enid to go through the CI procedure. I contacted the surgeon's office so all they have to do now is schedule it. While I don't exactly relish the idea of someone carving on my skull, the end result will be well-worth it.

Trust me, as one with profound hearing loss, you will be entering a whole new world of hearing. It won't be anywhere near what is considered normal hearing by those without hearing loss, but it will enable you to get back into life with folks that do have normal hearing without the constant HUH? Repeat that, Can you say that again, or I just don't understand what I'm hearing.
Good luck Gary, and I'm hoping this is the beginning of your new life in the hearing world.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The implant is scheduled for the morning of the 23rd. Teresa and I will be going down to Okie City the night before and staying in a motel. She'll drive me home and then a week or so after, I go back for a follow/up.

Then, it's a matter of waiting a couple of months for me to heal and the outer sound processor will be activated and adjusted over a period of a few weeks until the sound is right.

I'm not looking forward to having my skull worked over with a hammer and chisel but the rest doesn't sound bad.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's great, Gary! You know we're all praying and pulling for you! The procedure may sound awful, but I bet it won't be as bad as you anticipate and the rewards will be immense!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a response to a question about shooting with the CI in another site:

I asked the surgeon about that, and he said that I'd be able to shoot, and that I should just use my normal ear protection on the other side. As I understand it, they usually do one implant as the procedure makes you deaf in the affected ear without the implant. I'll be, to use your phrase earlier in the thread. 'almost as deaf as a stump' in my right ear, which is my worst one, but since I have more than 60% loss in that ear already, the sacrifice will be worth it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom