Coyote tactics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty good info. for sure, I would only add that one call I think is under utilized is lip squeaks. I am most definatly not a pro caller or anything close but alot of the coyotes I have called successfully have hung up at some point and put the stare on me. Moving to any kind of call would be the end of that hunt but lip squeaking can move them for a clean shot. You can get pretty loud with them too if you practice and the price is right for sure.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thursday morning sounds like a great day for it....cold and not much wind. Think of it like deer and try to get into an area where you think the coyotes are without them smelling you. Set up with some open area downwind as they will more times than not, circle to try to smell you. Sit close together with one watching down wind and one up wind. The sound you make is not as important as the rhythm. Listen to some veteran callers on youtube and just try to imitate them. Call for 30 seconds and then shut up for a couple minutes and repeat. I like to call quietly at first as you might have walked in real close to a coyote or cat and do not know it and too loud will blow them out of the area. Start quiet and be ready to shoot when you start calling as every once in awhile one will be on you in seconds. After a couple times of quiet, get loud to reach the far ones. Call an area for 20 minutes if you think coyotes and stay longer if you think it might hold bobcats as they will sneak in slow sometimes. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks for the tips!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add, I wouldn't use a decoy for coyotes.Like I said before,keep it simple.

Scott

As stated, I'm new to this. Why would one not want to use a decoy? In my simple mind, I'd think it would help bring one in, but then again I haven't done this much and want to learn.:D

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated, I'm new to this. Why would one not want to use a decoy? In my simple mind, I'd think it would help bring one in, but then again I haven't done this much and want to learn.:D

From what Scott has told me and from his videos. The decoy sometimes will spook a coyote instead of bringing them in but a decoy seems to super benificial to bobcat calling. Maybe Scott will expand on this.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have little experience with a decoy but have had them run up to one and spook and had them stand off at 150 yards and stare without moving any closer. I can tell you that I do not carry it with me any more. Just did not help enough that I thought it was worth the effort. Maybe the one I had was not realistic enough.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The decoy that was bought with my western rivers caller just kind of sways back and forth. Its not a frantic movment or anything like that.
I know bobcats are primarily sight hunters so that would make sense that a decoy would be effective on them. When I trap, I try to hang a white chicken feather over the bait, so they will see it and investigate.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've even heard of guys using a yellow peanut m&m bag on a string tied to a limb or stick near the caller and getting somethings attention with it. If you have an electronic caller and can set it 50 or 100 yards up wind of you, the coyotes will circle between you and the call sometimes and they will be looking directly away from you and it makes it easy to get a clean shot off on an unaware coyote.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone use bait or scents? I've heard two people tell me that they've used anything from leftover turkey guts from Thanksgiving to roadkill (even Deer entrails).

With Dogs having a strong sense of smell, I would think this would be very helpful - is it not?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone use bait or scents? I've heard two people tell me that they've used anything from leftover turkey guts from Thanksgiving to roadkill (even Deer entrails).

With Dogs having a strong sense of smell, I would think this would be very helpful - is it not?

I have never used scents. If a coyote gets downwind of you or crosses your scent trail where you walked in, the gig is up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a cow die once, and we set up on a hill looking over the carcass 200 yds away every evening and every morning for 3 days and never saw anything but crows and possums.

Latest posts

Top Bottom