Coyote tactics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a cow die once, and we set up on a hill looking over the carcass 200 yds away every evening and every morning for 3 days and never saw anything but crows and possums.

That's interesting - I've cleaned several deer in the field and always assumed that coyotes got the entrails, so it sounded good to me, but I never thought about other scavengers.

I've got a ton of coyotes around the place where I deer hunt, so I plan on going after them full-steam this year (as soon as the second half of Duck season is over).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting - I've cleaned several deer in the field and always assumed that coyotes got the entrails, so it sounded good to me, but I never thought about other scavengers.

I've got a ton of coyotes around the place where I deer hunt, so I plan on going after them full-steam this year (as soon as the second half of Duck season is over).

I've posted this before, but two years ago, for an experiment on the last day of gun season, I shot a doe in a food plot, next to a feeder and field dressed her where she layed. Put the trail camera on the gut pile, and checked the camera a week later. the deer kept coming to the feeder, the same night even. I had pics of some looking at the pile, but 1 min later they would be feeding.
It didn't bother them a bit.

Back to the gut pile.
It laid there for three days with nothing but crows eating on it, and on the fourth night, I had pics of deer, and then 1 minute later, I had another pic of no deer, and no gut pile. Something came in there and dragged it off.
Other gut piles over the years dissapear overnight.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, didn't see a bit of fur.......

Sorry Mitch. I thought of you guys this morning as I was heading for work. The lake was frozen behind the house and it was still and cold...should have been perfect and I just knew you would be sackin em up. Some days are that way. Don't get discouraged. It happens to all of us. Keep going and one day it will happen and you will be shocked. I have had whole seasons when I just couldn't buy a coyote. A couple years ago, I was whacking them like crazy and one of my buddies with much more experience than me was taking a kid that he was teaching and they worked all winter to finally get one. Be patient and it will happen.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got out this morning and thought we were going to get a double on the first stand. I set the foxpro upwind of my brother about 25 yards and then I sat 25 yards downwind of him. It was really foggy this morning here and not too much wind. I did a set on an open reed mouth call to start and then tried to switch the foxpro on and I guess I was too far from it and could not get it to come on so I waited a couple minutes and then called again. I looked up and there was a coyote running across in front of me about 40 yards. I tried to stop him but no luck and I took a running shot and am pretty sure I gut shot him. Heard the bullet hit but he kept going. I called some more and in a few minutes heard my brother shoot. One had come up beside me about 100 yrds out and kind of behind me and he shot it. He said it flipped over backward and then took off running. We never found either one of them and that was the only ones we called up in 3 stands. It was pretty exciting there for a little while. I sure hate to lose them but sometimes it just happens that way.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was using a .17 Rem and my brother had a .223. I had trouble getting on the coyote as he was in some tall grass and I was getting glimpses of shot opportunities. The bullet whopped like it hit good and I thought his tail was spinning as he dropped into a wash but I could not find him at all. I didn't hear my brother's bullet hit but he says the coyote flipped over backwards and then jumped and ran. Who knows. My .17 is a great coyote killer if I hit them right.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coyotes are one of the tougher animals in the woods I believe. That 17 isn't shooting good for you let me know and I can, uh, get rid of it for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom