Coyote tactics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now I might do that. I picked up a old remington 600 mohawk triple deuce last week and am kind or wanting to see how it does on them. I need to get some sling studs on it to make it easier to carry.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my first coyote this afternoon when calling alone. I shot him about 30 yards, and then looked across the creek and saw another one going back and forth. He didn't haul butt when I shot the first one, but he would never give me a shot or come across the creek (I could only see him thru the treetops along the creek, no clean shot opportunity). I use a Johnny Stewart PM3 caller, and I kept calling, and he would look my way but never commit. What should I have done different to get him over? I had a couple mouth calls on me, but have never used one before, so I wasn't sure whether to try that or not.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my first coyote this afternoon when calling alone. I shot him about 30 yards, and then looked across the creek and saw another one going back and forth. He didn't haul butt when I shot the first one, but he would never give me a shot or come across the creek (I could only see him thru the treetops along the creek, no clean shot opportunity). I use a Johnny Stewart PM3 caller, and I kept calling, and he would look my way but never commit. What should I have done different to get him over? I had a couple mouth calls on me, but have never used one before, so I wasn't sure whether to try that or not.

Often times after shooting, switching to a coyote distress call will lure another one back.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Often times after shooting, switching to a coyote distress call will lure another one back.

That would be my advice.A pup or adult coyote distress.Sometimes they just won't budge an inch no matter what you do.I do have a recording of 2 coyotes fighting on my Foxpro that is really deadly in that situation.I have filmed a few different coyotes that threw caution to the wind and charged right past a dead coyote to get to the caller.It does not always work that way but like I say, always and never rarely apply in calling predators.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom