First motorcycle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm wanting to get my first motorcycle. Never had one before, I don't even know how to ride. But I'm gonna finally learn and do it, now that I have a little disposable income.

I am planning on taking a riders course, and so on and so forth. But other than that, I'm at a bit of a loss. I don't really know anyone local that rides, so not much luck on pointers there.

I would really like to get a street glide, however, that is a lot of bike and considerably over my budget. I'm looking at spending something in the neighborhood of 5-8k. I love the idea of a cruiser, but with the size of the bike and my limited finances, I don't think it is a smart decision. I also like the idea of a street bike, considering I don't have the cash for something big and comfy.

Suggestions? Comments?

I fully intend on wearing a helmet and protective gear, and being safe. I also want to take part in freedom rider type of events, charity stuff, and the like. It was what my uncle did before he passed away, and he always wanted me to get a Harley and ride with him downin houston. Unfortunately he passed away from an accident from when he wasn't wearing a helmet.

I have had many things told to me about starting to ride, to buy a bike that is small and cheap, and to learn on it before graduating to something bigger and better, I've also been told to get something powerful enough that I have a healthy amount of respect for it and it's capacity to scare/kill me.

Tips/tricks/advice? What do you ride and why? What would you suggest/do different if you had to do the experience over?

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A new rider with to much bike is just asking to wind up in the street. Some bikes the power weight ratio is wicked, just blip of the throttle and all hell can break lose.

I agree, small cheap, even an old dirt bike to play on while learning the physics will help tons.

I would look at it like this. If you have never driven a car before would a 1000 hp street racer be a good place to start?

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Craigslist
Buy something that runs. A lot of 250cc bikes are under $1000. You won't feel so bad about putting a few asphalt scars on it. After the class, take it to an abandoned parking lot and practice.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 250 Enduro (street and dirt) would be a great place to start. Easy to handle, unintimidating.

When you're comfortable you can move up, and you'll still have a fun bike for the occasional romp in the dirt.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find a old good running Honsa Rebel 250 or 450. Ride it a summer to see if you like it and want to stay with it. And possibly depending on your size a Honda Shadow 1100. That are shaft drive, easy maintenance, and low center gravity.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in something close to the same boat. Wanting to get something and have an agreement with my wife that when I stay under 200 for six months I am going to get one.

I have ridden before on an old dirt bike and am a leg up on you there. I would suggest something small to start with like the others have said so that you can get a feel for things. While you are shopping for that go sit on some bikes and see how they feel. I am long in the torso and short in the legs and have found that the 650 v-stars fit nicely but the 1100's don't. The 2010 Victory Vegas was also a good fit and that is a 1371 cc engine so remember that just because a Yamaha or Honda or Harley doesn't feel right in a particular version another bike may be a better fit and feel for you. You have to get out there sit down and see for yourself, no other person will have the same fit as you to a bike.

I also have a peculiar situation as I would like my wife to be able to go along with me at some point. Her illness has impaired her sense of balance so riding on a regular bike will probably not be an option for her so I have also looked at the Can-Am Spyder's and they will also be much more forgiving for a new rider so if you are looking at making one purchase for a while and want to be able to do some road trips I would suggest trying one out.

Your showing as OKC/Stillwater as your home so you should be able to find a couple dealerships to kick some tires pretty easily. I know one I have went to that has a few Can-Am's is Jones offroad so if you are on I35 take a detour and head that way. They also have the Slingshots which is even less motorcycle but look like they could be a blast to have.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy a 250cc motorcross bike used. It has a lot of power and you can take it to the dirt tracks and take your lumps there without traffic to be an issue. Learning to ride and practice are keys.
Also might make sure you have plenty of life insurance. A lot of motorcycle accidents involving another car are usually serious/fatal. They call them donor cycles for a reason.
With that said, I love to ride but dont currently have one because I need to be around to finish raising my son, after that I will probably start riding again.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Craigslist
Buy something that runs. A lot of 250cc bikes are under $1000. You won't feel so bad about putting a few asphalt scars on it. After the class, take it to an abandoned parking lot and practice.

I have been looking all over craigslist and such, I still am having a hard time believing how affordable bikes are. I've picked a few out that I'm interested in and such.

A new rider with to much bike is just asking to wind up in the street. Some bikes the power weight ratio is wicked, just blip of the throttle and all hell can break lose.

I agree, small cheap, even an old dirt bike to play on while learning the physics will help tons.

I would look at it like this. If you have never driven a car before would a 1000 hp street racer be a good place to start?

I completely agree with your logic, makes a lot of sense.

Here's a question though, so old used bike..... What about an old early 90's 600 street bike? Those are ridiculously cheap. Still too much?

Latest posts

Top Bottom