Get bit by a rattlesnake, ouch. Go to the hospital, get bill, OUCH!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I just didn't know how stuff in medicine worked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No, because medical folks get a free pass on "swapping parts" until they find the problem. When a doc or nurse makes a mistake, complictions arise - who foots the bill? How many times do you reckon it happens and the patient doesn't even know it?

That sounds like a heckuva a deal. Let's start with "people come to doctors to get fixed".
Say we make doctors, hospitals responsible for curing said patient - not just treatment.

*doc, I'm real sick, my stomach hurts, my toes are swollen, and my eyes bleed.

OK, we'll put you on this medication, and do surgery. Pay up.

*doc, I'm still messed up, no improvement.

OK, let's try a different med, and do another surgery. Pay up.

Can you imagine going to a transmission shop and being billed for each attempt the mechanic made to fix your car, and being billed even though the car didn't get fixed?

Well... your own words kinda give that impression, don't they?

Oversimplification is the term that comes to mind for me. Like I said... I'm waiting to hear your assessment of how your highly-trained, highly-specialized and eminently comparable transmission repairman does when you seek out his medical advice. Seriously. I want to know how that comes out. Let us know.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well... your own words kinda give that impression, don't they?

Oversimplification is the term that comes to mind for me. Like I said... I'm waiting to hear your assessment of how your highly-trained, highly-specialized and eminently comparable transmission repairman does when you seek out his medical advice. Seriously. I want to know how that comes out. Let us know.

So -your response is "ask the transmission guy for medical advice"?
The comparison is that the transmission guy is supposed to be the SME, and he is accountable for fixing problems - as agreed - also, he is responsible for for fixing problems his own ineptness might have caused.

The medical person is not, and may cover up problems that they themselves create. The patient gets the bill in the medical scenario, while the mechanic is responsible for additional expenses he creates.

I know there's a lot of folks from the ER to the OR observing and participating in patient care, so one might assume peers will make sure no one "covers up" anything, right?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I just didn't know how stuff in medicine worked. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Glad I could help. Maybe spend 5 minutes in a hospital or clinic too and you'll understand that compliance MDT was talking about with respect to said variables.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad I could help. Maybe spend 5 minutes in a hospital or clinic too and you'll understand that compliance MDT was talking about with respect to said variables.

I'll do that - maybe I'll try to get to know some medical folks, and get better acquainted with practices.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll do that - maybe I'll try to get to know some medical folks, and get better acquainted with practices.

Why stop there? How about you educate yourself and get in there and start treating people on a daily basis. Get back to us on the absolute similarities of treating humans and fixing transmissions.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So -your response is "ask the transmission guy for medical advice"?
The comparison is that the transmission guy is supposed to be the SME, and he is accountable for fixing problems - as agreed - also, he is responsible for for fixing problems his own ineptness might have caused.
Exactly. As is a medical professional. If it is ineptness or negligence. Absolutely. Ask JB if they gety a free pass... they don't - as you are so adroitly alleging.

The medical person is not, and may cover up problems that they themselves create. The patient gets the bill in the medical scenario, while the mechanic is responsible for additional expenses he creates.
This is where you are wrong. Completely. Anyone who is caught trying to cover anything up is disciplined and may face legal or financial consequences. Let's face it, there are plenty of shady mechanics out there, too, right? I personally have not covered anything up, nor have I witnessed it.

I know there's a lot of folks from the ER to the OR observing and participating in patient care, so one might assume peers will make sure no one "covers up" anything, right?

See above. Obviously you think otherwise, but you are entitled to your opinion. It's easy to oversimplify - which is exactly what you are doing. A bad outcome doesn't automatically mean malpractice or inept or whatever. But again, you are free to point fingers - from the cheap seats. Meaning those without a skin in the game, those who don't have to make the decision (many of which are the lesser of two evils, not a black and white), aren't on the hotseat and have no consequences from armchair quarterbacking.

Come spend a week doing what I do - you'll have a different perspective, I think. I can't tell you how many times every week, hell, even every day, when you have to make the best decision from a list of poor possibilities. Resources are finite, not unlimited. Every choice has potential consequences, many of them bad. Choosing the lesser of two evils doesn't make one an idiot, nor negligent.

Except in your eyes, it seems to me.

<edit> And I have to point out, though it seems glaringly obvious to me, perhaps not to you... trying to tear down a transmission and find a broken belt, pulley or gear and replace it is a whole different world than trying to troubleshoot, diagnose and treat the human body - medically OR surgically. Anyone who thinks they are even in the same ballpark is drastically oversimplifying to try to place blame or is just ignorant of the facts.

Or perhaps is just trying to stir the pot for their own amusement...

Latest posts

Top Bottom