Had a ground mount solar system installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CREC buys from Anadarko Western Farmers Electric Cooperative. I used to work for Cimarron Electric.

Do you have their GE alarm system? I might have installed it depending upon how old your home is.
No we do not have an alarm system.

I have a neighbor that has worked for CREC for many years and now is retired but sits on the board in some capacity for CREC. If I remember correctly, he told me CREC recently installed a large solar array and is producing some of their own electricity. I could be wrong about that, but he did tell me they are getting an increasing amount of their power from wind and solar.

CREC is a great rural electric company and has some of the lowest electric rates 8.1 cents/ KWH.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
about batteries..... this is the much smaller 3.6KW system I built for my off grid cabin. I have around $10K in this system ( no installation charges as I did that ) ..... of that $10K, around $5K was for batteries. It will do most anything I need (lights, refrig, microwave, etc ) I won't run air conditioning with it tho' it could handle it for a while. If I need air conditioning I fire up the generator that is also hooked up to it. The generator will also recharge the batteries while it is running tho' I rarely use it.

solar.jpg.jpeg

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@tynyphil Sweet! Nice setup. Looks professional.

I have done similar for our trailer in New Mexico, but only 1,000 watt system. It will run everything with the inverter except the A/C and microwave. For those I fire up generator. (it will run microwave, but the microwave seems to bog down)

I only have 12 - 6 volt golf cart batteries in series and parallel for a 12volt system.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@tynyphil Sweet! Nice setup. Looks professional.

I have done similar for our trailer in New Mexico, but only 1,000 watt system. It will run everything with the inverter except the A/C and microwave. For those I fire up generator. (it will run microwave, but the microwave seems to bog down)

I only have 12 - 6 volt golf cart batteries in series and parallel for a 12volt system.
This is a 24 volt system. The inverter and batteries are in the trailer. I have 8 batteries ( 2 strings of 4). These batteries are huge compared to standard car batteries....each weighs around 120# for about 200 Ah each

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a 24 volt system. The inverter and batteries are in the trailer. I have 8 batteries ( 2 strings of 4). These batteries are huge compared to standard car batteries....each weighs around 120# for about 200 Ah each
24 volt system is more efficient than 12 volt and a 48 volt system more so. The travel trailer is a 12 volt system so I was pretty much confined to a 12 volt setup to keep things simple.

That's some heavy batteries. (wow) The 6 volt golf cart batteries are about 62 pounds each.

I noticed you have the tires and wheels off the trailer. (smart)

Solar panels are the least of the cost. The batteries, cabling, charge controller, inverter, fusing, breakers, etc. is where the cost add up.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed you have the tires and wheels off the trailer. (smart)

Solar panels are the least of the cost. The batteries, cabling, charge controller, inverter, fusing, breakers, etc. is where the cost

How you like my camo paint job I did on that white cargo trailet? That was fun to do.

If anyone is wanting to do something like this ....I purchased the system designed for my specifications by/from Northern Arizona Wind and Solar. They were great to work with.....very receptive to my gazillion questions

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How you like my camo paint job I did on that white cargo trailet? That was fun to do.

If anyone is wanting to do something like this ....I purchased the system designed for my specifications by/from Northern Arizona Wind and Solar. They were great to work with.....very receptive to my gazillion questions
what trailer? al i see is a set of axles

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome camo job at first glance I thought it was a stack of firewood.

Now that face that is just above the center of the trailer fender looking at the solar panels is awesome!!!!!!!!
Do you see him ?

I am glad you saw that! Whoa! Wow, you blow up the photo of the Trailer, it looks wild as hell! Impressive!

Latest posts

Top Bottom