Have You Noticed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't be serious.
I mean . . . it might not have started this, but it definitely started something . . .

giphy.gif

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if this is part of the dumbing down of America. I've noticed the loss of "ing". "Sayin, v. Saying, etc.
To be fair, I say that. I have a pretty strong southern drawl. I also say thank instead of think. And thang instead of thing. And caint instead go can’t. It’s just the say I’ve always talked. I don’t see it as being dumb. Now those that speak in Ebonics and that dumb slang are ignorant. It’s embarrassing.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Southern drawl is just fine, but ebonics and dumb slang is ignorant?

That's a big part of what's gone wrong in our society. What we believe is always true, and what that "other group" believe is always wrong.
Strange, isn't it? Almost like forever in history, one group separates itself from the others based on beliefs and culture.

I'm really glad you picked up on that, truly is groundbreaking.

FWIW - I sound like a fishing guide but do manage to string together coherent sentences for work, as well as writing much better than my peers. Our current "culture" (or lack thereof) doesn't seem to denote any difference in a workplace (professional) setting from the "street".

One can only conclude that the "culture" we are borrowing our language pattern from is unfamiliar with the former.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be fair, I say that. I have a pretty strong southern drawl. I also say thank instead of think. And thang instead of thing. And caint instead go can’t. It’s just the say I’ve always talked. I don’t see it as being dumb. Now those that speak in Ebonics and that dumb slang are ignorant. It’s embarrassing.
You should listen to Shelby Foote speak. Ridiculous Southern drawl, yet as eloquent as anyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom