Hummingbird 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Bird #1 that we know of. To bad he landed with his back to us.
E0E05025-058A-4223-8C8E-3F00443D11A7.jpeg

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't know any better so put ours out two weeks ago along with a traditional bird feeder. The "regular bird feeder is getting hammered by all sorts of bird; blue jays of some sort, cardinals, a jet black bird with red on their wings and bunch of other small cool looking birds.
Blue Jays love peanuts in the shell. Love to watch them swoop in, grab and then peck them in the tree.

Have seen my first two Hummingbird Moths in forever. Hope the birds are close behind.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
August 2017 on our patio. Not many of these around! I have much sharper and better shots of this little guy, including several in full flight, but I cropped this one down to fit the upload rules. I sent several to Bird magazines but none were ever published as far as I know.

View attachment 264607
Very cool! So is that a species or a color variety?

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool! So is that a species or a color variety?
Was never sure. If you look HERE it seems to be a true albino, but it's eyes were not pink. Everything else matches up, though, and it looks nothing like the other two types of "albino" hummers. So I'm going with "Albino with black eye variation". :) You could have knocked me over with a feather when he showed up. I was sitting on the patio drinking coffee with my camera in my hand and shooting an occasional picture of hummers at the feeder, when he showed up out of the blue. Stayed around for two days and moved on. Since it was late August, he was likely in transit south, and just doing a rest stopover.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was never sure. If you look HERE it seems to be a true albino, but it's eyes were not pink. Everything else matches up, though, and it looks nothing like the other two types of "albino" hummers. So I'm going with "Albino with black eye variation". :) You could have knocked me over with a feather when he showed up. I was sitting on the patio drinking coffee with my camera in my hand and shooting an occasional picture of hummers at the feeder, when he showed up out of the blue. Stayed around for two days and moved on. Since it was late August, he was likely in transit south, and just doing a rest stopover.
Pretty cool. The only thing we’ve had out side of the ruby throats is a couple black-chins over the years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom