I think I'll let it die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a sprinkler system. I have been putting a sprinkler out for about 3 hours in one spot, and I only have to water it once every 7-10 days. The short, frequent waterings promote shallow roots. The long soaking waterings promote deeper roots, that deep water evaporates slower than the surface moisture.

Same here. I water about twice a week. I keep the sprinkler in the same spot for 45 - 60 minutes. I have it in 3 to 4 places to cover the yard. This is the front only.

My back has more shade, so it doesn't dry as badly, and I don't care what it looks like as much. I am reseeding it this fall anyway.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just letting mine die, it's getting kinda freaky because I'm starting to think I may end up having to sod the yard when it all said and done. This heat and dryness is pretty brutal.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm watering my bermudagrass twice a week, 1 1/2 hours using an overhead rotating arc sprinkler or 30 minutes with a stationary sprayer. Mowing height 3 inches. Results are good.

Avoid any fertilizer application unless you are going to water a lot (fertilizer will draw the water out of the grass roots)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a sprinkler system. I have been putting a sprinkler out for about 3 hours in one spot, and I only have to water it once every 7-10 days. The short, frequent waterings promote shallow roots. The long soaking waterings promote deeper roots, that deep water evaporates slower than the surface moisture.

Me too. I have been watering once a week pretty much all day long, just moving it around in front. Probably goes 3 to 4 hours in any given spot. In back I have an old tractor sprinkler, I just route the hose to cover almost all of it. On slow speed it takes about 5 hours to get to the end. But the last couple of weeks my grass has been crunchy when walked on in just a couple of days. So at this point I'm just trying to keep it alive. Forget the green. Only having to mow about every 1.5 weeks or so. That part is nice, I'll admit....

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Between the drought and the grasshopper infestation, I haven't had to mow since June. (I don't live in a neighborhood) Lots of cracks in the dirt around here. A friend of mine said he saw a crack in his foundation that led well up into the bricks, so I came home and started some sprinklers up close to my house. Sure don't want no cracks in mine.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never watered mine in the 11 years I've owned my house in Piedmont. It's just a total waste of money. If the good Lord wanted it to be green he'd send the rain. Right now it's as brown as it is in the middle of winter. The upside is I don't have to mow it!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Between the drought and the grasshopper infestation, I haven't had to mow since June. (I don't live in a neighborhood) Lots of cracks in the dirt around here. A friend of mine said he saw a crack in his foundation that led well up into the bricks, so I came home and started some sprinklers up close to my house. Sure don't want no cracks in mine.

A good reminder for people to also do this. Soaker hoses, sprinklers, or just water down every couple of days or so, paying most of your attention along the hotter walls. The east side of my house needs the most attention. The south side is mostly shaded by shrubs and Bradford Pears and the west side by my neighbors house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom