Oklahoma governor wants to do away with income tax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The FairTax is a national retail sales tax of 30 percent on the final sale of all new goods and services. All new goods are included – from cars and houses to prescription drugs and food. And with the exception of college tuition, all services are included – from heart operations and funerals to rent and haircuts.

But for a plan that promises such a utopia, the problems with the FairTax are legion. The FairTax plan creates new taxes, new taxpayers, and new tax collectors. The stated rate of the FairTax is too low to achieve the promised revenue neutrality. The amount by which it is claimed prices would fall under a FairTax system has been grossly exaggerated. There is nothing to prevent an income tax from being reinstituted, giving us a two-headed hydra of an income tax and a consumption tax. The institution of a FairTax would not abolish the IRS – if there were no IRS then why would businesses bother to collect a national sales tax? The FairTax’s monthly prebate would put all Americans on the dole – from Bill Gates on down – and require a vast welfare apparatus to oversee its payment. The FairTax has unknown and potentially huge transition costs. The FairTax double-taxes the savings of retirees who worked their whole life and paid taxes and then need to begin spending the money accumulated in their after-tax savings accounts. And not only would the FairTax require state and local governments to pay a national sales tax to the federal government on all their purchases

So why is the FairTax not fair? Well, first of all, what’s fair about a consumption tax? Why is it that people who rightly criticize the income tax are so quick to accept a national sales tax on consumption? The FairTax perpetuates the fallacy that the government has a right to confiscate a percentage of the value of each new good sold and every service rendered. This is no different than claiming that the government has a right to the portion of each American’s income. As the late economist Murray Rothbard explained:

The consumption tax, on the other hand, can only be regarded as a payment for permission-to-live. It implies that a man will not be allowed to advance or even sustain his own life, unless he pays, off the top, a fee to the State for permission to do so. The consumption tax does not strike me, in its philosophical implications, as one whit more noble, or less presumptuous, than the income tax.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance243.html

The FairTax only charges 23% tax on new goods, not 30%.

So why is that different then the fact that the government uses the same 'permission to live' theory by basing it on our income?

FairTax FAQ

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your still going to pay taxes but it won't be based on what you make, it will be based on what you spend here in the State. If your rich and you buy lots of toys, property, cars, etc, you'll pay more than the guy like me who saves alot of his money.
The fair tax will be enough to fund our Gov. Texas has been doing it for years.

True enough that TX has no state income tax. It does however have close to the highest property tax rates in the nation.

One way or another you're gonna pay.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy a home or a car or any big ticket item and your going to pay INTEREST as well. So - X% interest on the mortgage + 25-30% sales tax. Hmmm... How will that figure into the mix? Finance the sales tax as well? I'd like to learn a whole lot more on this before I set my pen to the ballot.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy a home or a car or any big ticket item and your going to pay INTEREST as well. So - X% interest on the mortgage + 25-30% sales tax. Hmmm... How will that figure into the mix? Finance the sales tax as well? I'd like to learn a whole lot more on this before I set my pen to the ballot.

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer

Or call Neal Boortz from 8:30-Noon Central time at 1 (877) 310-2100.

You are going to pay one way or another and even though Texas has high property taxes they have nice roads!

Last edited by a moderator:

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texas also has obscene property taxes.

I owned a house in Amarillo Tx. Valued at $114.000.00 And a house in Broken Arrow valued at $116.000.00 and the taxes were about $20.00 higher on the house in Broken Arrow. I don't think the property taxes are higher until you get up into the $400.000.00 - $500.000.00 houses and higher?

tmotulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
texas does the same thing, now their property taxes are a lot higher than ours.

damn that sooner state ad hurts my head..It is kind of obnoxious.

Either im going crazy or you all are. What ads are you talking about because i dont see anything except what people have put in their sig lines..

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Texas also has obscene property taxes.

Tulsa County property taxes are in the top 1/3 in the nation. We can only hope the rest of Okla would play "catch up"....

Tulsa County has the highest property taxes in the state and ranks in the top third among counties nationwide, according to a study issued last week.

The Tax Foundation report measures property taxes three ways: by median property taxes paid on homes; by median property taxes as a percentage of median home values; and, by median property taxes as a percentage of median household income.

By each measure, Tulsa County ranks first in the state and is in or near the top third nationally. Counties in New York and New Jersey led all three categories.

The report includes 2,922 counties and is a five-year average of data covering 2005 through 2009 as provided by the Census Bureau.

The study's author, Nick Kasprak, said the findings are based on survey results, not a county-by-county evaluation of property tax rates.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20110523_16_A13_TulsaC733817

Latest posts

Top Bottom