Oklahoma governor wants to do away with income tax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard597

Marksman
Reaction score
I live in Texas and will be retiring in Oklahoma later this year. I own a house on a standard size lot in Texas. My property taxes this year were about $2000.

I bought a larger house in Oklahoma that sits on seven lots. My property taxes this year were $230.

The government needs (so they think) so much money to operate. They will get it from us one way or the other. Not sure which way is better.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Texas and will be retiring in Oklahoma later this year. I own a house on a standard size lot in Texas. My property taxes this year were about $2000.

I bought a larger house in Oklahoma that sits on seven lots. My property taxes this year were $230.

The government needs (so they think) so much money to operate. They will get it from us one way or the other. Not sure which way is better.

I would be curious to know the location and appraised value of both places. I own 1 rental in Tulsa County that appraised at 75,000 and my property taxes were close to 1000.00

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That'd be great as long as we could also get them to reduce the budget and get rid of corruption too. Otherwise we'll just pay in a different way.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The simple fact is that we need to trip the fat from the government before we go cutting taxes. If we maintain the same level of expenditures while decreasing revenue they're going to get desperate for money and they'll find it some way or another. You know how they pull people over for the smallest infractions to get money? (i.e. not coming to a complete 2 second stop at a stopsign with no traffic any other direction) Expect that to occur more and other taxes to increase to make up for not paying income tax.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well here's my situation.

I pay right at $1100 a year in property taxes. I would gladly double that in return for not paying state income tax. If I didn't have to pay my quarterly income tax payments and write that check in April of every year, I'd have a net savings of about $1000.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The simple fact is that we need to trip the fat from the government before we go cutting taxes. If we maintain the same level of expenditures while decreasing revenue they're going to get desperate for money and they'll find it some way or another. You know how they pull people over for the smallest infractions to get money? (i.e. not coming to a complete 2 second stop at a stopsign with no traffic any other direction) Expect that to occur more and other taxes to increase to make up for not paying income tax.

You sound rather uninformed here. You do realize that Fallens goal is to trim the government also right? That was a campaign promise anyway (which doesn't always happen) and I think Fallen is more true to her word that some. You also realize that cutting income tax will help gro the state (make it a more atractive place for people to live) thus bringing in more state revenue. Also this will make it a more business friendly state in which to do business creating jobs and thats good for us all.
Yes, the state needs money to operate its basic state functions. People complain about the condition of the roads but don't want to help pay for them and expect to use them for free. that just isn't going to happen. Do you know what it cost just to add 8' shoulders, put a new smooth surface course on and bring a 2lane highway up to geometric standards for the 65 mph speed limit? Would you believe $1,000,000.00 per mile? (yes 1 million dollars per mile). Our state transportation budget has been cut this year do to lack of funds and we only have 75 million to work with. That could all be spent on reconstruction of Interstate 40 alone and it would only cover 19 miles. (a 4 lane reconstruction project runs about 4 million per mile). To our benifit, Washington DC contributes to US highway cost as well but thats another story. We are now building a new interchange to replace the Morgan road and I-40 cluster**** at a cost of 45 million. The current I-40 crosstown project had a price tag of 840 million clams and is completely funded now and scheduled to be completed next year.
Point is, It adds up fast and the state needs your contribution to this if your going to expect to use these facilities.
And this is only one state agency but its the largest budgeted agency.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and pay use tax....they get you one way or the other

and don't say that they wouldn't track this if they needed the money

No doubt they'll track it. I don't remember where I read it, but supposedly (sp) they are cracking down on internet purchases because of the taxes not collected. Like you said, they'll get the money from us one way or the other.

Latest posts

Top Bottom