Peet Seeger will not be down for brunch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally a good commie.......dead.

I read an interesting comment about him today. It said that he was a Communist, but rejected Stalinist Communism. That was supposed to be a compliment.

So, I'll just leave it at that.

Good commie? Is/was there such?

A dead commie is a good commie. Just sayin'...

i171.photobucket.com_albums_u301_Blind_Driver_smilies_jerkoff1ff.gif

i know i should be used to it after all this time, but these threads never cease to amazing me. I cannot get over how some seem to revel in the death of others.

Real class acts, right? What the hell is wrong with you guys? I can all but bet none of you celebrating his death know **** about Seeeger or communism for that matter.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bro, I hope you're being sarcastic. Even if you are right, I think most people see this song about how great America is and the opportunity here. In my damn near 46 years, it never occurred to me that this is a communist song.

It's not a communist song. It's a populist song by a populist man from what used to be a populist state full of hard working farmers, not belly aching, pasty white GOP doughboys.

We normally edit out the communist verses.

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather was a WWII vet, city council member, mayor of his town for 8 years, volunteer fire fighter...and what you guys would call a communist.

His wife, my grandmother (85), grew up in Oklahoma practicing a glorified version of share cropping. Ya'll would call her a communist too. Please, by all means, attend her funeral (hopefully it's a while yet) and tell everyone there how she's finally a "good commie". I'm sure it will go over well.

Ya'll are sick sons of bitches, and I'm so thoroughly glad - at least on a national level - you're finally losing the chokehold you had on this country. Good luck in 2016, douchebags! :igetit:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can all but bet none of you celebrating his death know **** about Seeeger or communism for that matter.[/QUOTE said:
There were about 100 million folks I could've asked, but they died under communist rule during Mr. Seeger's lifetime. I guess I'll just have to rely on the words of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, and others that witnessed how well that system worked out. Maybe Pol Pot, or Chairman Mao would be good sources, too.
Unless you have some special insight that you'd like to share, RH?

Toujours Pret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pete Seeger's uncle was the poet Alan Seeger,killed in WWI. best known for "I Have a Rendezvous With Death" (maybe you read it in school) or here:

Alan Seeger (1888-1916) was an early-20th century American poet. He served in the French Foreign Legion during World War I and died at Belloy-en-Santerre on July 4, 1916. Seeger's poem "I Have a Rendezvous with Death" was a favorite of John F. Kennedy, who often asked his wife to recite it.

"I Have a Rendezvouz with Death"
poem by Alan Seeger

I have a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
When Spring comes back with rustling shade
And apple-blossoms fill the air-
When Spring brings back blue days and fair.

It may be he shall take my hand
And lead me into his dark land
And close my eyes and quench my breath-
It may be I shall pass him still.
On some scarred slope of battered hill,
When Spring comes round again this year
And the first meadow-flowers appear.

God knows 'twere better to be deep
Pillowed in silk and scented down,
Where love throbs out in blissful sleep,
Pulse nigh to pulse, and breath to breath,
Where hushed awakenings are dear...
But I've a rendezvous with Death
At midnight in some flaming town,
When Spring trips north again this year,
And I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There were about 100 million folks I could've asked, but they died under communist rule during Mr. Seeger's lifetime. I guess I'll just have to rely on the words of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, and others that witnessed how well that system worked out. Maybe Pol Pot, or Chairman Mao would be good sources, too.
Unless you have some special insight that you'd like to share, RH?

Wow, it's a good thing that capitalism leaders have never killed anyone. Dictators, either. Seriously, equating all 'communists' with crackpot leaders is a reach, even for OSA.

Can anyone point to anything mr Seeger did that actually killed anyone? Did he advocate in any way the hostile overthrow of the US government? Did he campaign for Stalin, Pol Pot, or any other communist leader? Did he run anti-american ads?

Or did he simply believe in a different political system than others and write songs?

This just reinfornces Ridge's earlier post

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, it's a good thing that capitalism leaders have never killed anyone. Dictators, either. Seriously, equating all 'communists' with crackpot leaders is a reach, even for OSA.

Can anyone point to anything mr Seeger did that actually killed anyone? Did he advocate in any way the hostile overthrow of the US government? Did he campaign for Stalin, Pol Pot, or any other communist leader? Did he run anti-american ads?

Or did he simply believe in a different political system than others and write songs?

This just reinfornces Ridge's earlier post

He did, in fact advocate for a different political system, he used his voice to influence American politics. He had a view of us pasty white douchebags/doughboys (thanks, RH) and it is certainly his right to use whatever he had to push his agenda.
So now he's gone, don't expect everyone to lament his passing as if he was some kind of hero. (unless he's advocating for your team.
He was a communist, by his own admission. One less, now.
I suppose I could resort to the vulgar name-calling, but his own title of communist pretty well sums him up.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ideas have consequences... everyone who promoted that political system bears some responsibility for what happened because of it. And don't discount the power of words and songs. In may ways, they are more influential to history than bullets or bombs.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
And don't discount the power of words and songs. In may ways, they are more influential to history than bullets or bombs.

True dat.

[video=youtube_share;9XcDeRJ_Osc]http://youtu.be/9XcDeRJ_Osc[/video]

If Loving these lyrics makes me a commie, then hand me my hammer and sickle, comrade:

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Pete Seeger is a national treasure. R.I.P.

Latest posts

Top Bottom