Pinto Beans..........what's your recipe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack Spata's pinto bean thread so.............What is your favorite recipe for cooking Pinto Beans?

We grew up on beans, fried taters/onions and cream gravy. I like em, my kids are spoiled and don't.

Washed, inspected, rocks tossed away, soaked overnight, slow cooked on oven or in crock pot, salt/pepper, ham bone (sometimes bacon)
Cooked to the consistency that I like. Fried cut up 'taters with onions, cream gravy and CORN BREAD! ! !

Damn, made myself hungry!

DNO

Dangdar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, been making this one for a while. 4-5 cans of pintos, too lazy to soak. Can of rotel, diced onions, couple tablespoons of cumin. Can or two of chicken broth. 4-5 pieces of cut up bacon. Can of lite beer. Dash or two of salt and new mexico chile powder. Cook till bacon done add water to keep beans covered. Usually about 4 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta have jalapeno, fresh garlic, salt, pepper, bacon, and ham during the cooking process.

For the eating part, a must have is fresh horseradish mixed in the beans. I grew up eating it that way. My wife was a skeptic for many years, but now that she has tried it, she won't eat it any other way.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im only one eats beans in my house.

Soak em overnight
Crockpot with a chopped onion and a hock. Salt pepper n spoonfull of chopped garlic.
skillet corn bread
And a jar of my aunts squash relish.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually just put a lb of dry beans in the crockpot early AM, slice up a package of smoked sausage in it, 6-8 cups of water, then salt/pepper/bunch of chili powder/and enough Slap Ya Mama's or Tony Chachere's to get it where I want it. Let it slow cook til that night (12 hrs or so), cook up some rice and go to town! I like the fried potatoes as well, but being from LA I like rice in mine pretty good :)

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Soaked overnight, after picking out rocks and other debris. a little salt, pepper, and a big piece of salt pork. The salt pork adds the flavor I grew up with. As a little kid, we ate pinto beans and cornbread for every noon meal except Sunday. Usually had green onions when in season, Mamma's home made cornbread and maybe some sorghum syrup. After growing up and being away from that for many years, I thought it would be great to get a can of the good old sorghum, NOT!!! boy do our tastes change..I do still love the pinto beans and corn bread... and I was a teenager before I found out that Salt Pork wasn't bacon..

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Frijoles Charros for a full meal. Tortillas and arroz amarillo

Soaked beans cooked with a hock or fatback. Serve them up with onions, peppers, or hot relish. Cornbread and milk.

Fiesta Pinto Bean Seasoning is good also.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife started pressure cooking them, when she doesn't have time to do them on the stove, they cook fast. I like em, they seem to have more flavor by pressure cooking them. Same as most above, ham, pepper, salt, bit of garlic, couple of whole jalapenos, onions. And then of course, taters and cornbread to go with them.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
soak em over night, add some ham hock, granulated garlic, sea salt and black pepper.... cook them till you have beans and gravy.
for a twist I will add a few peppers.
left overs get put into a bag a frozen for later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom