Pinto Beans..........what's your recipe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im pretty basic with mine, been cooking and eating them the same way my momma and gramma made them so its how I like mine naturally. My wife will do them in the crock pot and I will eat them but theyre not my fave, and she uses ham chunks because her mom does them that way but I dont like them much that way, tastes weird and the soup is too thin for me. An ex FIL used to add a whole onion to his pot of beans. To each their own they say, we all like different things. In the past Ive soaked the beans the night before or boiled them an hour or so and then soaked them a few hours, etc, and it does help with the gas. Usually I dont go to all that trouble tho. I just clean a bag of brown beans in a colander, put em in my grammas old bean pot with water and bring to a boil, at boiling I add my salt pork or smoked ham hocks then simmer 2-2 1/2 hours adding water if needed. I dont add salt until the last 30 minutes or so, and then just to taste, and then theyre done when tender and the soup is thicker. I dont put pepper in mine either while its cooking, I leave that to those who like it at the table, same as with anything else like hot peppers, onions, garlic, whatever. I just found it easier to make them simple and basic and then let those eating them with me dress them up the way they like them later. The last 30 minutes I will whoop out a pan of fried potatoes and a pan of cornbread and we're eating good. All starched up but good eatins. My kids go crazy for them like we did when we were kids. At the table I like stuff like bread and butter pickles, pickle relish, corn relish, hot chowchow if I have some (its not like my grammas hot chow chow tho, cause shes dead...) along with some fresh cut white, green or purple onions, and fresh or canned hot peppers if I feel like it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta start with some leftover smoked ham. 'specially the parts that are a tad darker from the edges...
Sort, rinse, soak.Add salt,oregano,cumin, pepper. Put in crock pot on high for a few hours, switch to "low". Remove lid, and let liquid evaporate, making juice nice and thick.
Cornbread, taters and onions, fried catfish...greens....

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Salt pork ... cooked all day ...

Served with raw onion, cornbread and real butter and a good dose of salt and pepper ... and fried potatoes with onion and red peppers ...

GC doesn't like beans and cornbread so I defer ... now that he is cooking his own dinners I might have to change that and have me a good bowl of beans ... :P

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been known to use a pressure cooker also. Actually,I "prefer" them that way. One lb beans boiled and let rest for a couple of hours. Change water. I whole onion, one or 2 jalapenos, 1 package polska keilbasa (has more fat than smoked sausage), a little salt. Bring them up to pressure until things start rocking. 14 minutes later turn off heat until safe to open, (about 30 mins). Eat

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been known to use a pressure cooker also. Actually,I "prefer" them that way. One lb beans boiled and let rest for a couple of hours. Change water. I whole onion, one or 2 jalapenos, 1 package polska keilbasa (has more fat than smoked sausage), a little salt. Bring them up to pressure until things start rocking. 14 minutes later turn off heat until safe to open, (about 30 mins). Eat

You know, I've been threatening to get a pressure cooker. I keep finding other things to spend my money on ... :P Might need to change that. That sounds too easy ... :)

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Salt pork ... cooked all day ...

Served with raw onion, cornbread and real butter and a good dose of salt and pepper ... and fried potatoes with onion and red peppers ...

GC doesn't like beans and cornbread so I defer ... now that he is cooking his own dinners I might have to change that and have me a good bowl of beans ... :P

Dang. Dont like beans, only wants 15mins away from city, wont let cha get a goat. I dunno, least hes a good shot.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 lbs pinto beans
1 large onion, chopped
4 Tbsp. jarred minced garlic
*Up to 2 1/2 Tbsp salt (This is the absolute max if you don't pre-soak your beans.)
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cumin
10 cups hot water

crock pot it all til they are done, bonus after you're done eating beans you can mash these into the best refried beans ever!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, I've been threatening to get a pressure cooker. I keep finding other things to spend my money on ... :P Might need to change that. That sounds too easy ... :)

The idea of cooking most foods in 1/3 of the normal time and using less energy about has me sold on a pressure cooker.

For beans I like to clean, soak overnight, then cook on the stovetop with sautéed onions and garlic or a mirepoix. Its also worth checking out the heirloom varieties of beans that are available.

Latest posts

Top Bottom