Pinto Beans..........what's your recipe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Soak overnight
2. Rinse & drain
3. Place in large pot
4. Cover with chicken broth / stock.
5. Add one fist sized* onion (sliced)
6. Add some minced garlic (about a tablespoon.)
7. Add some sliced hollerpenos.
8. Add 1/2c salsa
9. Add some cumin (1-3tsp).
10. Salt 'n peppa to taste
11. Add meat bone.
12. Bring to boil.
13. Reduce to simmer.
14. Cover pot.
15. Make some awesome cornbread (I posted a really delicious recipe on here somewhere)
16. Add some more broth to them beans (gotta keep em covered.)
17. Fast forward 2 hours.
18. Eat beans and cornbread.
19. Hopefully don't engage in chemical warfare with SO.
20. Don't blame me for heartburn / gas.

*my hand is slightly wider than an orangutans but my finger are a little shorter. So, like just use a large onion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The idea of cooking most foods in 1/3 of the normal time and using less energy about has me sold on a pressure cooker.

For beans I like to clean, soak overnight, then cook on the stovetop with sautéed onions and garlic or a mirepoix. Its also worth checking out the heirloom varieties of beans that are available.

I've used a pressure cooker for 30 years or better. 1 hour roast beef that falls apart, etc. Love it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the unit. Lots of the old pressure canners had lighter pressures, and would take a bit longer than a unit designed for pressure cooking.

I'd be really scared of the old pressure cookers. The new ones have a "fuse" in them that will melt and release the pressure should one get it too hot.

Your grandparents pressure cooker/canner is not the way to go like their cast Iron skillets.

My pressure cooker that I have now offers two different pressures. One for cooking, the other for canning, but its only for the pint jars.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I've been threatening to get a pressure cooker. I keep finding other things to spend my money on ... :P Might need to change that. That sounds too easy ... :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Chef-Primo-6-qt-Pressure-Cooker-with-Lid/28862134

Really, come on now, they are only 30 bucks for a cheap one. When was the last time you spent 30 bucks and don't have anything to show for it. Besides when one of those chickens or rabbits get to tough to cook regularly you can throw one in the pressure cooker and have meat for dumplings in no time. :)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Chef-Primo-6-qt-Pressure-Cooker-with-Lid/28862134

Really, come on now, they are only 30 bucks for a cheap one. When was the last time you spent 30 bucks and don't have anything to show for it. Besides when one of those chickens or rabbits get to tough to cook regularly you can throw one in the pressure cooker and have meat for dumplings in no time. :)

LOL ... mostly because I don't cook AT ALL in the summertime ... :lookaroun WHAT?!?!!?!? Seriously ... I'm a rabbit in the summer ... :P This is the one I've been eye-spying on Amazon ...

http://smile.amazon.com/Fagor-Combi-5-Piece-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00023D9S0/ref=sr_1_26?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1406639646&sr=1-26

You've almost guilted me into buying it now and cooking something for GC ... :sorry4:

:bolt:

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BB - get your pressure cooker, then read the book on all the stuf you can cook/can. You'll spend a lot of time.....
Also your county extension office generally has people that can hook you up with even more info about canning.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I paid less than $10 for each of my pressure cookers. Antique shops are full of them. Same with meat grinders and hand mills.

Pressure Cookers were the microwave of yesteryear.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB - get your pressure cooker, then read the book on all the stuf you can cook/can. You'll spend a lot of time.....
Also your county extension office generally has people that can hook you up with even more info about canning.

Ha! That's what I'm afraid of ... :P I love to dehydrate but I dunno if I would ever get the canning "bug" ... I can remember putting up tons of corn and sand plum jelly when I was a kid ... My mom would buy a metric TON of whatever was in season and then turn us kids into slave labor, so no fond memories there ... :disappoin Although maybe if I did small batches I would not shudder so much at the thought of it. GC has actually canned stuff (and said he enjoyed it) from his garden when he was married to his first wife. :scratch: Hmmmmmm ... a plan is formulating ... :naughty::rotflmao:

I paid less than $10 for each of my pressure cookers. Antique shops are full of them. Same with meat grinders and hand mills.

Pressure Cookers were the microwave of yesteryear.

I seriously gotta go garage sale-ing with you guys ... :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom