Remember record stores?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one I visited the most was at the corner of Lindsey and Berry in Norman. I think it was part of a chain, but the name escapes me at the moment.

The other one I visited was somewhere around 89th and Western. Its name also escapes me, but they specialized in “oldies” (‘50s-‘70s rock, the same stuff you’d hear on KOMA at the time).

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was one in Shawnee back in the day called Friends Music. They had a lot of vinyl, but this was the early 80s, so cassettes had just taken over. But Friends was cool because they had tons of concert T-shirts, which was basically all I wore when I was in high school. Concert and/or OP T-shirts, Levis 501s and Reebok sneaks.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, Oklahoma City had stores like Sound Warehouse, Peaches, Wilcox Records, Rainbow Records, and TG&Y for vinyl and cassette tape needs.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the day, Oklahoma City had stores like Sound Warehouse, Peaches, Wilcox Records, Rainbow Records, and TG&Y for vinyl and cassette tape needs.

We had a TG&Y in Claremore when I was a kid, back in the 70s. I bought my very first 8 track tape there...KISS: Destroyer.

1705716011987.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really started getting into vinyl back in the '60's while in the Army. I'd buy the album and then record them on an Ampex reel to reel tape recorder. When we downsized to move into the RV, I gave all the records and some speakers to someone I knew that would appreciate all of them.

But, I did find a computer program that let me digitize a lot of the albums, and those reside on my computer hard drive.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had tons of albums and 45's growing up. Had I don't know how many hundreds of albums stored on an Akai 7.5" reel to reel. Enough rock and roll that the local radio station nighttime DJ would borrow them for a segment he had late night that was extremely popular as it was music from the back side of the albums that weren't commonly in play over the air. I'm betting those reels are still in the attic with the sheet cataloging each one in the box.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in the earlier post that we had a record store in Ponca called Sun records.
I knew I was getting old when a couple of young girls thumbing through the albums said "Oh wow! I never knew Paul McCartney was in a band before "Wings"
:nolike:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom