Selling home any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also agree on adding to the ask price. It is a game and everyone knows it. This is not a seller's market, you will not get the asking price unless it is significantly lower than market value. I would ask at least market value and then come down from there. My first house we offered 15k less than the ask, they countered with 10K less and we took it. Sold it 5 years later for 30k more than we paid. You have to play the game.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we just sold ours a few months ago, listed it for what we thought it was worth got a way low ball offer & eventually got the same buyer to 1% below asking which was over our minimum so yes list it for what it is worth

Esoog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly recommend at least doing a little staging. In the bedrooms it can be as little as a night stand with an air mattress on empty cardboard boxes with a blanket and pillow. We did that when we sold our house 3 years ago, moved 80% of our stuff to storage because the new house wasn't finished yet. Put the house on the market and had 2 offers the next day and signed contract 2 days later. I feel without putting stuff in storage our house would have been too cluttered, also wanted to make it neutral feeling for any new buyer. It might have not made a difference, but I think it helped.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming that your realtor is a real pro and knows how to sell houses, just do whatever he/she says to do. Gut check time. Decide how little you will accept. Flexibility on offers often equates to quick sales.

Super_soph198

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm basically fully trusting the realtor and doing as told. I hired him for a reason. So far his longest on market is 40 days and I looked up the houses and understand y. His other listings sell within the first two weeks.

spacepiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW check the FEMA flood zone maps. We were blindsided to learn our house was 6 feet below the 100 year flood level. Realtor didn't think of that either. Took a bit longer to sell, to find a buyer willing to pay $50/month extra on their insurance. The house never flooded in the 30 years we lived in it but the mortgage companies are pretty stubborn about that.

https://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/sto...Id=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&userType=G

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my realtor who I have used for the last 2 homes I purchased - and 3 of my daughters have used her, too. Contrary to some comments, I DON'T always do what she says. Follow your gut, your heart and your bank account! A few years ago, I had one house on the market for over a year. Had 1 ridiculously low offer during this time, less than I owed! She suggested I take it! I refused and suggested she tell them to KMA! I stood my ground. Market got better, I painted the entire interior of the house, ended up showing it 5 times in 3 days and had 2 offers. I got what I wanted!

My brother once had a home on the market for 2 years. Increased his price 33%, showed it several times and sold it within 2 weeks of when he increased the price.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold all my homes and properties and a few friends by myself..always got my asking price..
I was never in a hurry...Today the banks will not loan money like they used to.
Lot's of people with their own money now...and these people want to by homes as rental properties..
I have rental properties...good investments if you do it right.

I have no idea how much your payments are.. but if you could rent it out for more than the payment..it may be in your interest to keep it.
Unless you are planning on using the money from the sale to get your new place..
That is the way i did my first home.
Got the first house and lived there for 9 years payed it off and sold it for 2x what i paid for it.
second house paid off in 25 months..saved money and got another house..paid off in 5 years..and during this time got 2 more and paid them off in cash the day of the sale...

Rentals can make you some nice money and you still own the property...just saying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom