Springfield Armory 1911s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking (yes, that's dangerous): Over the years, SA 1911s seemed to be hit and miss. Or, is it more that the market outran SA, and now they are behind? How are they generally viewed, currently, in comparison to others (e.g., Kimber)? For example, the Dan Wesson Valor is within $100 of the SA TRP, and both have a decent reputation; but the Valor seems to have more than $100 additional value, judging by the discussions I've read...what separates these pistols? I've been thinking about this, and wondering what SA is doing with their 1911s (good and bad), and where they sit in the grand scheme of the market? What do you think?

TheRulingFool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have/had a number of SA 1911s. A Range Officer, a lightweight MC Operator, a Long Beach Operator, and a TRP. Every single one of them have been OUTSTANDING. I've had pistols from Kimber and Ed Brown that I'd rate lower than my Springfields.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The TRP is a great gun but has been overpriced for years. For just a little more you're better off with a Dan Wesson, which is a good step above any Springfield except the Pro.... which is insanely overpriced too. Dan Wesson uses tool steel fire control parts and incorporates better grip safeties like the Ed Brown. With the Springfield, you get all of the same small parts whether it's the $700 1911 or the $1400 TRP.... or even the $3000 Pro.

That being said the lower tier Springfield 1911s are good guns like the RO. They are just as good as any in their price range and the EMPs are phenomenal IMO.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, the 1911 market in general is really interesting. The external extractor users (e.g., S&W, Sig) are another interesting sector. Overall, fascinating history and part of the gun world.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W's early extractors had some issues, then they beefed it up. I've never read of any problems with Sig's EEs.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a new ss mil spec, had to tune the extractor before it made it through a hole mag.

After that it did fine but was mush looser than any of the ria pistol I've owned

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with GMThunder on the quality of the Dan Wesson 1911s. Adding only that the current DW and really early DW are good. There was a few years just before the CZ influence when DW kinda went dry. I also like the SA Range Officer and EMPs. Actually, I think the SA EMP is a better 1911 than the little Kimbers.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in the Corps, we had 2 Marines that were on the President's 100. These are the top shooters the country. They used SA, then had them tricked out buy the Armorer. That being said, for the same price you can buy a SA Mil-Spec you can buy a Ruger. For the life of me, I don't understand why Rugers are not priced higher. They make great 1911's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom