Stitt announces new measures to slow virus spread in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Making participation in a lot of these "safety measures, hours, etc..." is pure D nonsense. I'd much rather see voluntary participation in a consumer based association rather than food and alcohol rules enforced by the state.

I'll be interested to see what my favorite restaurants in Mexicanville look like this weekend. So far they've thumbed their noses at a bunch of bureaucratic jerkoffs interfering with commerce.

But how would the righteous keep you from getting a drink on a sunday in many places? Or on election day? Or buying that bottle of Jack at the grocery store?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
our town has had a rule for masks since lockdown ended. They were cagy and made businesses enforce it or face fines. It's worked well. Our county has no such rule and their schools have had to shut down, their football team forced for forfeit the playoffs. The city schools have struggled, but our football team is advancing.

Our governor steadfastly refused a mandate for the state, opting instead to issue them county by county. It failed. Our numbers rose and he was forced to issue a statewide mandate. Then, our numbers fell. He let the mandate expire. Now our numbers are approaching their highest point yet and he is back to issuing county by county mandates.

Correlation does not prove causation, save for when it does.
Here's my own personal observations.

When this thing got rolling they were shutting stuff down right and left and preaching for everyone to wear a mask. If we only wore the mask it would go away, we were told. My mother has cancer and I'm basically her main support giving her rides to treatments and such so I limit my activities. Hell I haven't even shot any matches like I would have except for COVID. I just can't take the chance of carrying it to her. But when I went into a store back then maybe 25% of the people were wearing masks. Then numbers started going down like they said they would (Due to warmer weather. They were correct on this one).

Fast forward to now.

Now when I have to go into a store, basically EVERYONE is wearing a mask. What's happening? Hospitals are overflowing.

Me thinks the mask doesn't have much if any effect based on what I see happening. One could even extrapolate that the masks might be a contributing factor? I don't but...

But here we are repeating the same things over again and expecting different results. Maybe when our boy Biden takes over all the riots will stop and everyone will love each other again and it'll go away on it's own. /sarcasm

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish things had not been so politicized. We used to just get guidance from public health officials and believe it.
I see that in Sweden that they are adding extra vitamin D to milk. In England they are distributing vitamin D to senior citizens care facilities. There seems to be no downsides to this....and I just can't see why our health officials are not doing these things here......super low cost and easy.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part of the problem, that I'm discovering the more I read, is that the old 6 foot rule is not actually based on science...but old research that became dogma. Everyone thinks they're good as long as they are more than 6' apart but it turns out viruses are more than capable of travelling well beyond that magical zone. Gee, who knew LOL.

This will be over when the vaccine is out and administered in mass numbers. Not a minute before. And then they'll find something else lol

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my own personal observations.

When this thing got rolling they were shutting stuff down right and left and preaching for everyone to wear a mask. If we only wore the mask it would go away, we were told. My mother has cancer and I'm basically her main support giving her rides to treatments and such so I limit my activities. Hell I haven't even shot any matches like I would have except for COVID. I just can't take the chance of carrying it to her. But when I went into a store back then maybe 25% of the people were wearing masks. Then numbers started going down like they said they would (Due to warmer weather. They were correct on this one).

Fast forward to now.

Now when I have to go into a store, basically EVERYONE is wearing a mask. What's happening? Hospitals are overflowing.

Me thinks the mask doesn't have much if any effect based on what I see happening. One could even extrapolate that the masks might be a contributing factor? I don't but...

But here we are repeating the same things over again and expecting different results. Maybe when our boy Biden takes over all the riots will stop and everyone will love each other again and it'll go away on it's own. /sarcasm

Whose boy? But anyway, as others have noted, there are a lot of variables in play. I merely pointed out that MS tried the county by count and things didn't improve. We then did state wide and it did. Since ending that mandate, things have gone bad again.

What you described sounds like an anecdotal logic fallacy. What you see doesn't support X therefore X is wrong. (Yes, my example above is similar, however i'm also pointing out that statewide numbers moved down and up based on the rules, not what i saw in stores. Large measured samples vs small, unmeasurable ones)

And please correct me if i'm wrong, but there hasn't been any mandates in OK that would allow for close to full mask implementation, right? So how do you know that the folks wearing a mask now are doing so each place they go before or after you see them? Without trying it state wide, how do you prove that it wouldn't work? Saying that people were 'told' it would stop it is nothing without actually trying it.

We all know the virus doesn't adhere to county lines, so if people are willingly visiting places to avoid having to wear a mask, it masks sense that they might bring it back to where they live if infected. That is true of leaving a state with a statewide mask rules, too. The difference comes in how that would spread from them. If they continue to visit places without rules, they can easily spread it. If they only go places with enforced mask mandates, it would spread less easily.

We know how it spreads for the most part and we have examples of these things working (albeit in conjunction with other methods) in places around the world. Spread containment probably also benefits from those who declare they can't or wont wear a mask being 'forced' to stay home. Asian countries have used masks for a long time to help with public health, including this virus.

Demanding 100% protection is absurd, just as anyone claiming a mask alone will stop this.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish things had not been so politicized. We used to just get guidance from public health officials and believe it.
I see that in Sweden that they are adding extra vitamin D to milk. In England they are distributing vitamin D to senior citizens care facilities. There seems to be no downsides to this....and I just can't see why our health officials are not doing these things here......super low cost and easy.

Sweden and England are both seeing spikes and even resorting to new lockdowns.

and both have top down policies, IIRC.

If only we had public health officials we could hear from instead of the politicians.

Latest posts

Top Bottom