Storing food in attic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone says not to store food storage in the attic. If you did store in the attic, and I'm talking stuff in #10 cans, how much shortening of storage life would there be. I figure stuff like sugar would be fine, because I think it might harden but it'd still be usable. Any thoughts? I figure it'd be different depending on the food item.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went to a house fire a couple years ago during the winter. It was started by a heat lamp to prevent freezing of several flats of canned food in the garage. During all that prepping, the elderly couple failed to use safety as a priority and nearly lost everything.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bassin is right. Either store food stuff in a cool dry place or save your money. Attics are for clothes, pictures, Christmas decorations and ghosts.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe this will help you make an informed decision.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kitchen/temperature-versus-food-storage-shelf-life/

Keep in mind that in Oklahoma it is not unusual for attic temperatures to reach WAY over 100 degrees F and stay there for hours (like as long as the sun is up and beating down on the roof in the afternoons) day after day. Not only that but they really don't cool down that much after the sun sets. I've personally seen temps of 140F to 160F in my attic on August afternoons ...

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would agree that storing in the attic is a no-no, but let me ask it this way: If you had to store in the attic what would you store? I know some would say "I wouldn't store in the attc", but work with me.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would agree that storing in the attic is a no-no, but let me ask it this way: If you had to store in the attic what would you store? I know some would say "I wouldn't store in the attc", but work with me.

Maybe triple sealed rice?
Whole grains with 0% water content
Wouldn't store water up there because it may freeze then burst the container and when it thaws you have a massive mess on your hands.

Eventually, whatever you put up there will either be compromised by bugs, destroyed by cold, go bad from heat or a whole host of other problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom