Student Loan (Repayment)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you for it during this 39 year inflation high?

• Yes

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Not sure what to think about it.

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There should be more restrictions on student loans. Minimal grades and degrees that make a graduate employable would be a good start. Colleges also charge way too much. While most “professors” sit around attending meetings and calling each other doctor, grad students are doing most of the lectures. It’s a racket funded by our tax dollars.
Can confirm

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
And let’s not even talk about the millions of dollars in federal grant money for research labs that never do anything other than publish an occasional peer reviewed article in their fan club publications. The entire educational system in America is filled with fraud and massive amounts of waste.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My stepson joined the Marines right out of High School, did his 4 years. He then used the GI Bill to assist with college, plus worked a part-time job, and got his degree in 4 years. He had the option of going straight to College, as his brother did, but didn’t. If you borrowed it, you pay it back. They have plans where you can pay it over time, so yes, you borrowed = you pay = the way I was raised.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

Estimated Total Semester Cost

Below is a summary of what a typical first-year student might pay for a semester at OU. The estimate assumes the student is enrolled in 15 credit hours in the College of Arts & Sciences. If a student enrolls in a different number of credit hours, takes classes in a college other than Arts & Sciences, or enrolls in a course with an associated miscellaneous course fee, the total charged will be different.
Fee
Description
Oklahoma
Residents
Non-
Residents
Tuition$2,460.00$2,460.00
Additional Non-Resident Tuition$0.00$7,902.00
Mandatory Hourly Fees$2,069.25$2,069.25
Mandatory Semester Fees$126.50$126.50
Academic Excellence Fees (15 hours, 2020 Admit Term)$1,350.00$1,350.00
College Program & Tech fees (15 hours, Arts & Sciences)$600.00$600.00
Total per Semester$6,605.75$14,507.75

It was about 2k a semester in the early to mid 90's when minimum wage was $4.25, and that's all you were going to make flipping burgers or working a menial job. I worked full time at Wright's IGA in Norman, and my take home pay for a 40 hour week was about $128. It's not any different now than it was then.
And that’s not room and board. My daughter took 4 1/2 years. It was about 125k total a few years ago. We paid about 50k out of pocket but still had some debt. She is doing well and we’re about done making payments. Still sucked though.
Most of the profs she signed up for never step foot in the classroom. The assistants and grad students do the teaching. Sad to say, she had a hard time understanding most of them.

RagdollOp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
And let’s not even talk about the millions of dollars in federal grant money for research labs that never do anything other than publish an occasional peer reviewed article in their fan club publications. The entire educational system in America is filled with fraud and massive amounts of waste.

And after all of that fraud and waste of tax payer money the school is allowed to pay football coaches millions. Why should a school get government funding if they can pay that big of salaries? Seems wrong to me.
I know my opinion isn't a popular one but the corruption and waste needs to be looked into.

Last edited:

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And that’s not room and board. My daughter took 4 1/2 years. It was about 125k total a few years ago. We paid about 50k out of pocket but still had some debt. She is doing well and we’re about done making payments. Still sucked though.
Most of the profs she signed up for never step foot in the classroom. The assistants and grad students do the teaching. Sad to say, she had a hard time understanding most of them.
When I was college, late 70s and early 80s the mid eastern esp. Iranian TA were total a holes. Indian were the best. American tas mixed bag. Many unhappy grad students. I was in engineering.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is a deception that forgiving student loans just cancels the debt. in reality the debt is just shifted on to the backs of the taxpayer or more recently through currency debt ratio of 135% gdp onto the backs of everyone even those who don't pay taxes.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And after all of that fraud and waste of tax payer money the school is allowed to pay football coaches millions. Why should a school get government funding if they can pay that big of salaries? Seems wrong to me.
I know my option isn't a popular one but the corruption and waste needs to be looked into.

whoa now we cannot be fussin over peoples ball games! That’s like religion and kids.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know my option isn't a popular one but the corruption and waste needs to be looked into.
Ragdoll... at OU, the Athletic Department is completely autonomous, self-sustaining. They receive nothing - not one dollar from university general fund, or from government. Ever wonder why ticket and paraphernalia costs were so high?

Latest posts

Top Bottom