Sure, we live in a "post-racial" America

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get it, no problem. I have daughters, too. I want them to make the best choices, at all times. I am not sure best is the correct word. I think easiest maybe better. We want our kids to have a better life than ours. Therefore, we don't want them to pick the most difficult path to follow. Even if that path makes them a better person than we are.

Well. I am white, and her mother is Mexican. I am still married to her mother. I won't go down this road again, tlblawton, it has caused me much grief.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not insinuating anything, but I do not wish to post the PM here. JB has the ability to look at it if he wishes. I am saying, directly, one policy is being published while another is being practiced.

Well, that's certainly not intentional, and it's without my knowledge.

One of my goals for OSA was to promote free debate among members with the (admittedly naive) hope that such a debate might encourage some of the more close minded folks to at least consider a different perspective. But like with everything else here, some folks take everything to an extreme.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why isn't anyone talking about the discrimination going on within our own racial lines?

Try being a single man in your late 30s who happens to enjoy playgrounds or showing up to a Magic The Gathering tournament with Pokemon cards. What HR department do I get to go to, huh!?!

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.cartoonstock.com_newscartoons_cartoonists_efi_lowres_offic17bddb36e629e138fbf10cc25303ac0c.jpg

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is some funny $)(&$, right here. Carry on, RH, you got it all figured out! (Spoken in my best whiny voice)

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why isn't anyone talking about the discrimination going on within our own racial lines?

Try being a single man in your late 30s who happens to enjoy playgrounds or showing up to a Magic The Gathering tournament with Pokemon cards. What HR department do I get to go to, huh!?!

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As someone of East Asian descent, I could complain about how hard it was to grow up as the only Asian kid school and my neighborhood in Lawton Oklahoma. The daily "ching chong" and "me Chinese... pee pee in your coke" type jokes. I didn't have a "community" of other Asians to find refuge in. I was alone and I got **** on by both the white and black kids. I learned really quick how to survive and fight and yeah I got my butt kicked sometimes, but I also whooped a lot of ass too. Doesn't hurt that I've always been physically taller than most people my whole life.

I've had teachers blatantly lie to the principal and said I was using Kung fu on another student and got the paddle to the rear end for sitting in class and doing nothing all because she thought I was Japanese. Yes... Seriously. The number of parents who refused their kids to be friends with a "chink" or in several cases "that jap" and blamed a little American boy who happened to have Korean American parents for atrocities that happened in Pearl Harbor during WWII. All sorts of fail there.... Sheesh.

I've had (and to this day still experience) parents disapprove of their daughters dating me and I'm almost 34 yrs old now because of a stereotype that I would be short tempered and abusive or culturally incompatible with their family even though I've lived in Oklahoma my 33 out of 34 years alive as a person.

I know that if I wasn't "Asian" I could have it easier in the corporate world. I wouldn't have had to go out of my way to act more aggressive and confident to break the meek, mild mannered Asian cubical robot stereotype when I was just a grunt. I wouldn't have had to go out of my way to be heart warming and sensitive to break the stereotype of the abusive hot-headed Asian slavedriver stereotype when I became a manager. And now that I'm a consultant and professional who sometimes deal with CEO's in the Midwest and southwest, I have to go out of my way to prove I'm "American" enough. The fact that I'm 6 feet tall and have an Okie accent works to my advantage.

My father served in the us army in the late 70's and 80's after doing 2 tours of Vietnam with the ROK (South Korean) army. Anything I would have to complain about pales in comparison to what my Dad experienced being an Asian guy in Oklahoma in the 70's. things that included neighbors threatening to gangrape my mother in front of him while they forced him to watch and then burn hiss "gook" baby before killing him. They actually did try to make good on that and tried to break into the trailer house while my mom was inside. My Dad showed up in time with 4 other artillery guys from his unit just in time. He's had Cameron University students spit in his face and threaten him while he was a janitor there in the early 80's. His long time best friend was actually his biggest source of grief at one point simply because he thought my dad was Japanese.

I don't complain because my dad never complained. He worked his ass off for the very little he earned made sure that I was raised as an "American boy" and was willing to put a boot in anyone's ass who thought otherwise. Served in the US Army because he felt obligated to give something back to the country that allowed him a new life.

The only reason why I even bothered to type that short history of experience about myself is because everyone, no matter the race or gender has similar stories like mine and my father's. I don't complain because I know people who have had it worse. You don't have to be a "non-white" to experience similar hardships and hurt. Ask any white kid who grows up in a black ghetto their experiences and I promise you their story will be similar to mine. Hell, I couldn't imagine being a homosexual in a small town in Oklahoma and my heart goes out to those kids who are in that situation.

I conclude with this. Whites, stop apologizing for crap your ancestors may or may not have done a generation or more ago. You didn't do this so just stop already. Minorities, stop using "racism" as an excuse for your own failures and inadequacies. If you did experience real setbacks due to racism or "white privilege," stop crying and move on. Affirmative action goes both ways and now it is being used in colleges to deny Asian applicants for white applicants. My opinion is that AA is no longer needed, but I'm just a dumb designer.

People stop being so sensitive and stop and realize that sometimes things done out of ignorance does not mean it was done out of hate. This last bit is key and applies to everyone in all groups. If anything, most of the racial issues in American comes to one group just not having any empathy due to lack of context and one group assuming the worse and malicious intent from the other.

Also 1488. Ok just kidding. Lol. Sorry, to all the stormfront kiddies.

Good post right here!!!

And as for the 311 thing, the 11th letter in the alphabet is K so 3x11=KKK. There is also a band called 311. But I dont think they are racists. I learned that in 6th grade.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It appears there is some bigotry here against the racial makeup of certain groups of racists. Just doesn't sound very inclusive to me.

Maybe it really is ok to be intolerant?

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is funny, a little sad, but very true.

It appears there is some bigotry here against the racial makeup of certain groups of racists. Just doesn't sound very inclusive to me.

Maybe it really is ok to be intolerant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom