The demise of Amy Winehouse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully we don't have to have her "ironic" status fed to us like we did with Cobain. I was always annoyed with how great Nirvana supposedly was a week after Cobain killed himself. I kept hearing this "voice of a generation" label being tied to him & it was BS. There was the same group of grunge kids in every school that dug him aside from that I didn't know ANYONE that was that big into Nirvana. I still think if Eddie V. or Chris Cornell had killed themselves Pearl Jam or Soundgarden would now be viewed exactly as Nirvana is.

Deal is, Winehouse was no where near as talented as Nirvana so I'll be even less impressed when they tell us how great she was. Hopefully focus on the fact that she was someone blessed with the opportunity of a lifetime but was never able to capitalize on it because she couldn't get clean. Hopefully her example inspires someone else to kick to the habit.

I agree, and I really like Nirvana. I just hate to hear people talk about how great Nirvana was, iconic, shoe in for R&R hall of fame, etc. And putting them above bands such as Pearl Jam for the simple reason that Cobain killed himself. If you want to discuss their merits and contributions as a band, fine, but let's not confuse suicide with talent.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, and I really like Nirvana. I just hate to hear people talk about how great Nirvana was, iconic, shoe in for R&R hall of fame, etc. And putting them above bands such as Pearl Jam for the simple reason that Cobain killed himself. If you want to discuss their merits and contributions as a band, fine, but let's not confuse suicide with talent.

I agree.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this. I remember when I first heard Nirvana. Cobain was very much alive. I new that they were something big. She was no Cobain. I do agree with that

Did you used to wear a lot of plaid flannel shirts? Maybe you were one of the "grunge kids" xd-9guy referred to? :D

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave Grohl is way more talented than Cobain was. I'm glad he went on to found the Foo Fighters.

As for Winehouse, her death scene was written long before it actually happened. :(

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely didn't intend to bash Nirvana they certainly hold their place in the music world. I like a few of their of their songs. But I was a much bigger Sound Garden fan, I wasn't in the flannel grunge crew, but I was still annoyed when every radio station & mtv started telling us how the music world would never be the same without Kurt in it. I'm of the opinion that Grohl was just as much of the talent in that group, the Foo Fighters went on to make several songs I liked more than any Nirvana song.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets legalize drugs.
Absolutely.
Legal status of a substance hasn't much concern to an addict....I mean, it was illegal when they started it.
Plus, I think if you actually run the numbers you'd find that most drug OD deaths are in fact caused by legal substances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom