This could get interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Pope himself come over and chastise Obama over this. If the Catholic church desides to dig in their heels, Obama WILL cave on this. He won't have a choice. :D

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The words "separation of church and state" was intended to keep the government out of religion, not religion out of government. That is a modern Liberal idea.

So you wouldn't mind if the Vatican controlled the US government?

Personally I'm happy that some wise men in the 18th century took issue with that concept, as well as its inverse.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you wouldn't mind if the Vatican controlled the US government?

Personally I'm happy that some wise men in the 18th century took issue with that concept, as well as its inverse.

Sorry my friend, but you and I have deep fundamental differences on the direction this country is going or what the intent of our founding fathers were. We certainly have more differences than we can settle on this thread. Obviously you want God out of the running of this great Nation, and unfortunately, the Lord will probably do just that.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry my friend, but you and I have deep fundamental differences on the direction this country is going or what the intent of our founding fathers were. We certainly have more differences than we can settle on this thread. Obviously you want God out of the running of this great Nation, and unfortunately, the Lord will probably do just that.

I fear you are right and that it spells hard times for our nation.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I love your flavor of hyperbole. No, I don't want to force my Christian beliefs on other Americans via the barrel of a government gun.

If you want the US government to be a puppet with a Christian church's hand up it's backside, then I nominate Westboro Baptist for the controlling body.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love your flavor of hyperbole. No, I don't want to force my Christian beliefs on other Americans via the barrel of a government gun.

If you want the US government to be a puppet with a Christian church's hand up it's backside, then I nominate Westboro Baptist for the controlling body.

John Adams
2nd U.S. President and Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
--Diary and Autobiography of John Adams, Vol. III, p. 9.

"The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God."
--Adams wrote this on June 28, 1813, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson.

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever."

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yet in your quotes, he does not recommend that the church control the US government.

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not." --- James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

"In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot ... they have perverted the purest religion ever preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind, and therefore the safer engine for their purpose." --- Thomas Jefferson, to Horatio Spafford, March 17, 1814

"The clergy...believe that any portion of power confided to me [as President] will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion." --Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Rush, 1800.

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose." --- Thomas Jefferson to Baron von Humboldt, 1813

"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... I mean real good works ... not holy-day keeping, sermon-hearing ... or making long prayers, filled with flatteries and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of pleasing the Deity."--- Benjamin Franklin, Works, Vol. VII, p. 75

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practiced it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England blamed persecution in the Romish Church, but practiced it upon the Puritans. They found it wrong in Bishops, but fell into the practice themselves both there (England) and in New England."--- Benjamin Franklin

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" --- John Adams, letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who here is advocating letting the Church control the government?

You talk of hyperbole, but you wield that sword as well as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom