To pee or not to pee?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say I have ever Peed off of my stand for deer......

But when on a black bear hunt in Maine... I was told they have a more sensitive nose than that of a whitetail. ON the third day of the hunt I was running a bit late to the stand....in the hustle, forgot my Pee bottle!

A long big lunch with plenty of coffee made for an Irish jig in the stand that evening! I couldn't take it after a few hours and had to go..... so went off the stand! Figured a cigarette wouldn't hurt now..... I had to put out the butt to shoot that 6 foot 1 inch tall bear on my birthday!

When bow hunting deer... I try to keep all odds in my favor. I am not as crazy about scent as I once was years ago.... Hell I used to change clothes before I reached my stand!

Here in OK. Especially where we are.... With open sewer lagoons, deer are smelling human excrement all day! I see them by ours almost daily in fact! I would say...if they don't equate the smell to danger and you really have to go.... Let'er rip! Same goes for smoke and fire.... most burn their garbage and it smells horrible.... I have deer by our burn barrels all the time too! But I still try not to smoke for as long as I can take it!

Getting that bruiser in at 20 yards and drawing a bow is much harder and way more gratifying that pulling a trigger at 200 yards IMHO.

PJ

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I once hunted with some guys in Indiana that peed in every scrape they found. Said it pissed the deer off something awful to have to remark it with their own and that the deer would spend more time on the scape freshening it up. I don't know about all of that but they did have some nice wall hangers.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i peed from a stand onto a fawn one time...not really on purpose ;). the rest just stood around and he walked off....heard him wheeze tho a little after, figured he got some in his mouth, guess filtered/night before budweiser is not his thing.....:anyone:

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just dont drink a bunch of coffee before you get into your stand. I use 5-Hour Energy drinks for my cafeine source. Then once I leave my stand I drink a bottle of water to get hyrdated again. Then another bottle when I get back to my vehicle.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to disagree with most of ya.
Yes, if your hunting around a septic lagoon, go ahead.
I've heard all of the "its sterile", "human scent goes away" and so on.
I don't know about you guys but when I pee at work in a urinal, I can smell whatever I had to eat or drink previously. Its that distinctive odor that the deer will notice to be foreign in their territory.
If I can smell it, then I know that a deers nose will be full of it.
It may not make that much difference at rifle ranges, but when bow hunting, I take every precaution.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to think it mattered, and still very possibly could, but it got me thinking. I had already filled up my stupid little 8 oz water bottle and had to take a whiz again... like a racehorse. So I watered the food plot from the stand and continued to sit. Not 5 minutes later a nice 8 pt came and stood exactly where I pissed, I mean his hooves were in it. He didn't even bend his neck to take a whiff of it. He walked in circles right under me for a few minutes and went on about his business. I'm 100% sure he was in the position to smell it. Does pee smell? Of course. Deer smell it? I'm sure. How they interperate it... no idea. We all know during the rut that it is one of the main scents they look for. So I don't know what the answer is. I will continue to piss in a bottle, but I may be overly cautious. I do try and hold my farts in the stand... I think they can smell them from a mile off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom