To pee or not to pee?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pee on every scrape and rub I see on the way to the stand. The only deer that are attracted are 160 to 180 class bucks! I am now offering to OSA members only, a seasons supply of my pee to the highest bidder.

Gentlemen.....Start your bidding. :rubhands:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does pee smell? Of course. Deer smell it? I'm sure. How they interperate it... no idea. We all know during the rut that it is one of the main scents they look for. So I don't know what the answer is. I will continue to piss in a bottle, but I may be overly cautious. I do try and hold my farts in the stand... I think they can smell them from a mile off.

Lets take this to another level.
If you walk into your house, and you smell an odor, and notice a chair that has been moved.
What do you do?
I know what I would do. I would go to condition 1, back out of the house, and call 911 to let the professionals take care of the situation.

Now, we are a deer, and are walking/browsing along our favorite trail.
All of a sudden, a foreign odor hits my nostrils.
I live and die by my nose and eyes.
I can't see anything in the flat plane type of vision that I have, but I'm danged sure not going to go any further, and turn around to leave.

This is where I'm coming from.
During rut, they are stupid, and fall for anything, and so on and some might be courious, but I can assure you that the legendary deer hunters in our present and past did the max to put out the smallest human signature in order to be successful.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I go around a fence twice a week the year round, how does a deer know the difference between the farmer piss and the hunter piss?

Damm you for bringing another dimension to this discussion:lmfao:

This would fall into the hunting beside a septic lagoon.
But if one had some asperagus the night before, would that put them on alert, as it wasn't normal?

As we know,(farmers) deer don't give a crap about spilled diesel fuel, etc, and get comfortable with smells that occur on a regular basis.
Case in point, the urban deer.
If it was legal, we could hunt from the cab of a tractor.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, Dennis your first comment about taking greater care when hunting with a bow is something that I really can't address. I haven't hunted with a bow in years and I really never was any good at it so I respect your judgment.

It's just when I read some of this stuff about how generally intolerant of human scent deer are I have to be a little skeptical. If I smell TOO bad the deer can go up the river or down the river or across the river, but he'll find a guy who smells as bad as I do.

There are plenty of truck farmers out there who WISH they could keep the deer out with urine and sweaty socks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, Dennis your first comment about taking greater care when hunting with a bow is something that I really can't address. I haven't hunted with a bow in years and I really never was any good at it so I respect your judgment.

It's just when I read some of this stuff about how generally intolerant of human scent deer are I have to be a little skeptical. If I smell TOO bad the deer can go up the river or down the river or across the river, but he'll find a guy who smells as bad as I do.

There are plenty of truck farmers out there who WISH they could keep the deer out with urine and sweaty socks.

IMHO putting out hair from salons, socks, etc only works for a day or two. Maybe less depending on how many times the deer visits the area and its not determined to be a threat.

In my opinion, its the different smell that alerts them.We all eat and drink something different every day, and our pee follows that odor.
New = danger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom