To the person who is opening gates in south OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is funny, you know that the utility companies dont have to call ahead for access...lol

They do if the gate is locked. We leave an orange door hang with a phone number for the customer to call us. If they don't do so, then we have problems. Of course, when I'm needing in their back yard it isn't to get something fixed ASAP.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dustin I hate to say this but my experience tells me that utility companies dont have to call ahead for access. I know this from first hand day to day operations.

Customer doesnt want to give us access, fine we will just send a access letter and go from there. We give the customer to option of sending a key or the code to locks so we we can access the equipment on the monthly reads. The field people dont have the time to call every customer for access everytime.

I know that OSMOSE is not calling ahead for access, they are just going into the yards in order to get inventory info.

And for the rest of you, Dustin and I work togther just in different areas...

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ones I come across that are locked we use a door hanger with a number for them to let me know when I can get in. Our stuff isn't really urgent though and we're not reading meters. I'm lucky enough to only have a OGE service pedestal in my yard and the meter is out front of the fence.

In my back yard going experience, most of the gates aren't locked. Normally if I have to go in it is is URD neighborhoods looking for transformers and peds. People always think I'm cutting their power off.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about OKC, but here in Tulsa you can request that a transmitter(?) be put on your gas meter, and it'll be done for free.

In my neighborhood, the gas, power, and sewer lines straddle the fence in between the backyards of the homes(which was a really stupid plan, even if it is aesthetically pleasing). The first time I moved out here, I'm working in the backyard and all of a sudden this dude's jumping the fence to get to the gas meter, scared the bejesus out of me.

We had them put the transmitter on so we could install a privacy fence, then OGE contractors(from Texas no less) ended up coming through like a week later and put them on all the meters along the street.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've caught the meter reading people doing it before....I had one of my dogs get out that way before. I've also caught them in the back yard after my guess was hopping the fence and about got to enjoy some unpleasantness had he not identified himself quickly....

Had my dog ready to go defend her yard, and pistol in hand.

Had my dog do the same when the mother in law was over one day and I was at work. She said she had a good laugh watching the guy try to pull himself over a 6 foot stockade fence with a lab right on his butt.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about OKC, but here in Tulsa you can request that a transmitter(?) be put on your gas meter, and it'll be done for free.

In my neighborhood, the gas, power, and sewer lines straddle the fence in between the backyards of the homes(which was a really stupid plan, even if it is aesthetically pleasing). The first time I moved out here, I'm working in the backyard and all of a sudden this dude's jumping the fence to get to the gas meter, scared the bejesus out of me.

We had them put the transmitter on so we could install a privacy fence, then OGE contractors(from Texas no less) ended up coming through like a week later and put them on all the meters along the street.

I think you mean ONG, OGE does not service Tulsa or residential gas service.

Believe me I deal with people on a daily basis who are pissed that people have to come into their yards. I have to tell them all the same thing, we service around 800,000 people and have limited staff so the idea of us calling every person before we have to come out is just not feasible with the current staffing levels. Sure we can add more people on but that is going to correlate with higher rates which most people wont want either.

I had to cal a customer back that was mad because we were in their yard inventoring our equipment. The lady was mad because we did not knock and that she felt in danger due to a shooting in their area a month before hand. Now mind you she is telling me this after she admits she went outside in her nightgown to see who the person was in her backyard.

If you are soo worried and or scared I would think staying in the home and calling the police for assistance would be the better response instead of going outside in your nightgown to see who the intruder is in your backyard.

But hey, what do I know...lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom