Vacation Opinion...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We spent 10 days on the Kenai Peninsula last summer and it was absolutely incredible. I have never heard of a bad Alaskan vacation, cruise or mainland. Everyone I know that has been enjoyed it.

BTW... diggin that avatar - Swanson is the man.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on 2 Carnival cruises. One short one to Catalina, CA and Ensenada, Mexico in 2005 when I was 18. Then a 7-day to Cozumel, Jamaica, and the Cayman Islands in 2008 when I was 21. (Had way more fun on this one...) So I've done Baja and Caribbean cruises. I've always been fascinated with Alaska and this seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to see some different places. And there's a day in Canada! So I can add that to the list.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We lived in Ketchikan, Alaska for 8 years. It's the first port of call for northbound cruise ships. It's a great way to see the southeast part of Alaska which is totally different then the rest of the State. I'd recommend everyone do it. One bit of advice. Don't complain about the weather. Just take it for what it is. Don't look at weather forcasts before you leave. It's like here, it can change in a matter of hours. Just plan ahead and enjoy whatever you get.

My new favorite town in southeast Alaska is Hyder. Wish I could have spent more time there this summer. Pic below is of main street Hyder at rush hour.

ai31.photobucket.com_albums_c359_akbushcop_hydermainst.jpg

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I took an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon in May of 2002. It was absolutely amazing. Princess was a good experience but from everything I've heard Norwegian is the cruise line to beat when it comes to Alaskan cruises. Be sure to save up enough money to take advantage of every excursion that you can. Get out and see every bit of Alaska that your time will allow because it is a beautiful place.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Puerto Rico instead. Take a plane, and a machete. Go to the south side of El Yunque mountain/rain forest. now go north. Lots of dogs and cats to eat along the way.

awww.elyunque.com_elyunque_el_yunque_dwarf_forest2.jpg

awww.elyunque.com_elyunque_rainforest_el_yunque.jpg

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still not too hip on traveling outside of the US....so although AK looks like a beautiful state and a great place to fish, I've scratched it off my list.
As far as a "cruise" is concerned.....No. Taking a 'cruise' has always seemed extremely lame to me.
Now, I've got a few friends that have gone on cruises and after listening to all of their collective stories......it still seems lame.

Just my opinion, and you *did* ask. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom