Vacation Opinion...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yukon, that is a beautiful place! Really, it looks awesome! I'd just expect you to be a little more mellow, more John Denver like after seeing that picture!

To the OP, I hate cruises. Did a 1st class one years ago in the Caribbean and hated being run here and there and God forbid someone screws something up at security. That said, I have many friends who have cruised Alaska and loved it.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone that I know who has taken an AK cruise talks about it over and over and it's always been one of the best things they've ever done.

One day I'll get up there (or down there if it's really next to T.J. now...)

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On another site, I told of my plan to visit Alaska sometime next summer. My plan is to go up via the Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) AKA the Alaska State Ferry. The AMHS does allow guns but they must be checked, unloaded and locked in your vehicle.
My plans are to drive up from Anchorage to about halfway to Fairbanks and just camp out where I don't have to see anyone else for a few days. Even tho I won't be going up to hunt, I will get a small-game license, so that I can have my Ruger Scout Carbine with me, and one or two of my heavy S&W revolvers for protection against bears.
I have done quite a bit of checking on it.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we went, it was cheaper to catch the boat in AK and ride back. Flew up through Salt Lake Ciyt and up to Juneau. I learned a few lessons. You get what you pay for as far a sleeping quarters go (a cabin that sleeps 4 adults will not sleep 2 kids and 2 adults). Bring LOTS of extra money for the off shore excursions. We went with Norwegian. PS The lobster and steak on the boat was PHENOMONAL!

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On another site, I told of my plan to visit Alaska sometime next summer. My plan is to go up via the Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) AKA the Alaska State Ferry. The AMHS does allow guns but they must be checked, unloaded and locked in your vehicle.
My plans are to drive up from Anchorage to about halfway to Fairbanks and just camp out where I don't have to see anyone else for a few days. Even tho I won't be going up to hunt, I will get a small-game license, so that I can have my Ruger Scout Carbine with me, and one or two of my heavy S&W revolvers for protection against bears.
I have done quite a bit of checking on it.

In order to do this you'd have to take the ferry from Bellingham, Washington all the way to Whittier, Alaska. You might want to check the price, cause it's not cheap. If you plan on transporting handguns you won't be able to go through Canada. That would provide your cheapest alternative. I'd go from Bellingham to Haines and then drive the Alcan the rest of the way.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/fares.shtml

Latest posts

Top Bottom