Vacation Opinion...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife told me about this. I totally forgot.

http://www.akferry.com/

You can take a ferry to Alaska. Forget the pricey cruise. Get there, hunt, see, come home. You don't have to bring your truck... but you can!

aakferry.com_images_9170220_jpg_000.jpg

aakferry.com_images_5860_jpg_004.jpg

aakferry.com_images_a6120303_jpg.jpg

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never took the cruise. However, a few years ago I spent a week in Talkeetna (about 50-60 miles north of Anchorage not far from Denali/McKinley). It was a great week. One of my best days was taking the local train from Talkeetna north to the end of the line and back. It's the way locals get from their cabins to town to pick up supplies. Real cool local flavor.

You can also take a plane ride up to the McKinley glaciers and land on them. Interesting.

Not terribly unusual to see a citizen with a big iron on his hip in the Talkeetna area. Bears.

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Late June 2006 we took the Holland America, 7-Day Glacier cruise, in the south bound direction (fly to Anchorage, bussed to Seward and fly home from Vancouver).

I had a great time. I’d take one again in a heartbeat. My wife, however, was seasick about a third of the time. IMHO, there is no better way to see this much of Alaska in so short a time. The weather was cooler than we thought it would be (we never broke out the shorts).

One thing you won’t find in the brochures is that it is very common for viruses to break out during the cruise. If you go, use the hand sanitizer stations often.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Knobb Creek Kentucky, to the full auto shoot, that is my dream vacation, my wife on the other hand wants to go to Nebraska and hunt a white tail in velvet that is her dream and has been for several years now, and then she want to harvest one of every kind of turkey.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drive the ALCAN highway and take the ferry back to the lower 48. Driving the ALCAN is outstanding vacation.

Absolutely. But the best way is to head west once you get to Prince George. Then turn north at Kitwanga and take the Cassiar Highway. Scenery and wildlife viewing is much better then on the Alcan.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't know about the whole cruise thing. I think I rather actually GO to Alaska than wave at it from a boat. A short shore visit just isn't enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom