What do you think constitutes "disability"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been eligible for a few years now. I choose to go to work everyday instead of relying on someone else to pay my way. I will be in pain everyday if I work or if I dont.

I dont want to be on pain medication everyday either. Looking to retire in a couple years anyway.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Darn it, MDP. I read down a little further and you've done it again. Don't you ever take a deep breath? One more piece of advice and then I'll leave you alone. Before you post a response to the other posters here, have a swig of that hot apple cider and a little of that olive oil stuff and sit back for a few minutes.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had people who tell us "they just don't want to work." My SSD lawyers fire them as clients immediately. I'm proud they do that.

I'm definitely in favor of reforming the system. However, based on having actual experience of having a large disability division in my law firms, I know the vast majority of these folks would rather not be disabled. Maybe I've been lucky in who has hired us.

That has been my experience too. When I was selling medical equipment none of them wanted to need it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
'Class 3
Individuals have more physical options for obtaining work, but are having difficulty finding suitable employment for their minor limitations. Example might include an individual with some physical limitations that remove entry level grunt work from the list of possibilities. They probably cannot go to a day laborer facility and spend a day digging a hole or providing grunt labor, but with assistance of an advisor they could find employment that is not burdened by their limitations."

This is a little condescending, and perhaps discrimanitory*....Fail

Ummm.... I'm sorry, but how in the world can you call this either condescending OR a fail? It is exactly, 1000% RIGHT.

Yes, there are some people who have some mild-to-moderate physical limitations. I get that. But that abso-freaking-lutely does NOT disqualify you from ever working again in ANY job capacity. That is BS.

Ok, so you dug ditches for a living for 20 years, and now you're 45 with a bad back. You can't dig ditches anymore. I get that. You can't haul furniture or mop floors or do myriad other physical tasks that require a fair bit or more of manual labor. Cool. So... what about all those jobs out there that millions upon millions upon millions of Americans do every single day of their lives that doesn't require them to lift anything more than a piece of paper? Computer work? Phone work? Filing, data entry, IT, photography, printing and silkscreening, writing news stories, baking cupcakes, working in any one of 10 million different office jobs...

For serious, man. You gonna tell me that someone with an arthritic back absolutely cannot do ANYTHING AT ALL in today's high-tech society?

I call BS. Sorry. You're wrong. Just because you cannot do repetitive or heavy manual labor does NOT mean you cannot support yourself or at least contribute to your own support.

This is my whole point... we need to get to the point where we put effort and resources into retraining people to function in another capacity. Putting someone on disability for LIFE because they can't read makes a whole lot less sense than teaching them to freaking read! Does it not?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact is the system is set up to make it difficult for people. It's the same for the welfare system.

If our government would ever get off its ass and direct the billions of dollars we send out in foreign aid (to ungrateful countries, most of which despise us) back into OUR OWN country for the benefit of AMERICANS, perhaps we could have the funds to create a system which does not penalize people for trying to better themselves.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disability benefits don't amount to much, I can't imagine trying to game the system for such a small piece of the pie. Not saying it doesn't happen, just can't figure out how it could be lucrative.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disability benefits don't amount to much, I can't imagine trying to game the system for such a small piece of the pie. Not saying it doesn't happen, just can't figure out how it could be lucrative.

It's not lucrative... it's the lowest common denominator. But if it enables one to stay at home and do nothing, well... to some people, that is enough. Most of the ones I see still have smart phones and can afford cigarettes... so it's not exactly squalor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom