What do you think constitutes "disability"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fact is the system is set up to make it difficult for people. It's the same for the welfare system.

If our government would ever get off its ass and direct the billions of dollars we send out in foreign aid (to ungrateful countries, most of which despise us) back into OUR OWN country for the benefit of AMERICANS, perhaps we could have the funds to create a system which does not penalize people for trying to better themselves.

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, there are (aat least) 2 problems. First, I don't believe there is anyone in .gov smart enough to put it all together. If there is, they don't have the authority. Second, this nation, en bloc, would have to dispense with it's love affair for greed. Could we ever all work together.

I'm beginning to think that our only hope is a threat from outer space.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummm.... I'm sorry, but how in the world can you call this either condescending OR a fail? It is exactly, 1000% RIGHT.

Yes, there are some people who have some mild-to-moderate physical limitations. I get that. But that abso-freaking-lutely does NOT disqualify you from ever working again in ANY job capacity. That is BS.

Ok, so you dug ditches for a living for 20 years, and now you're 45 with a bad back. You can't dig ditches anymore. I get that. You can't haul furniture or mop floors or do myriad other physical tasks that require a fair bit or more of manual labor. Cool. So... what about all those jobs out there that millions upon millions upon millions of Americans do every single day of their lives that doesn't require them to lift anything more than a piece of paper? Computer work? Phone work? Filing, data entry, IT, photography, printing and silkscreening, writing news stories, baking cupcakes, working in any one of 10 million different office jobs...

For serious, man. You gonna tell me that someone with an arthritic back absolutely cannot do ANYTHING AT ALL in today's high-tech society?

I call BS. Sorry. You're wrong. Just because you cannot do repetitive or heavy manual labor does NOT mean you cannot support yourself or at least contribute to your own support.

This is my whole point... we need to get to the point where we put effort and resources into retraining people to function in another capacity. Putting someone on disability for LIFE because they can't read makes a whole lot less sense than teaching them to freaking read! Does it not?

This is why I was sent to the place in Tulsa, to evaluate my abilities, both physical and mental. We were looking for any job I could do, not a job that would make me happy or even in the area I lived. It may have changed by now but at that point SS said $500 per month was "gainful employment". They went into my past, looking for anything that may help with any job I could do to earn a whopping $500 a month. My "skill set" was done, I was trained as a mechanic.

So they at least try, or they did then. The folks who can work and want to will find a way, the folks on SSD and that work for cash should spend time in jail. That would slow some of the fakes real fast.

I truly miss working, I got to travel, worked from Texas to Canada and I always had a new place with different challenges so that I never got bored.

I worked my last 4 years with braces for my back, ankles, knees, elbows and wrists, I also used a large amount of pain meds. That is part of why today I am in such of a mess. Masking the pain to work or play lets you do more damage and just not notice, until it's to late.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad had a friend down the street from where he grew up that had the mental capacity of a 6 year old and he went to work 4 days a week from the time he was 20 until he died at 62.

Nate Waters was a paraplegic and went to work everyday he wasn't in the hospital or doctors office and his wheelchair worked.

Stephen Hawking is disabled.

Mad Dog Patriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be there, junior. You may get an Old West history lesson. If the need arises, I'll teach you about buffaloing.

I googled this phrase. Are you threatening to hit me in the face with the barrell of a pistol?

I thought that I was the buffalo of your eye???

Did he hit you in the face with a pistol to?

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I was sent to the place in Tulsa, to evaluate my abilities, both physical and mental. We were looking for any job I could do, not a job that would make me happy or even in the area I lived. It may have changed by now but at that point SS said $500 per month was "gainful employment". They went into my past, looking for anything that may help with any job I could do to earn a whopping $500 a month. My "skill set" was done, I was trained as a mechanic.

So they at least try, or they did then. The folks who can work and want to will find a way, the folks on SSD and that work for cash should spend time in jail. That would slow some of the fakes real fast.

I truly miss working, I got to travel, worked from Texas to Canada and I always had a new place with different challenges so that I never got bored.

I worked my last 4 years with braces for my back, ankles, knees, elbows and wrists, I also used a large amount of pain meds. That is part of why today I am in such of a mess. Masking the pain to work or play lets you do more damage and just not notice, until it's to late.

Ouch.... eyes..... hurt.... bad.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom