What handgun do you carry in the field?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is going to be a long list.
Running the trap line tonight, I had the S&W K22 Masterpiece.
Deer hunting, I'll have the Kimber Stainless target II, in .45ACP, Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag, or the new S&W 25-5 in .45LC.

All have taken deer, with the Kimber also taking two bobcats that wandered under the stand.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_dennishoddy1_461E640066e49deade6b6e7b8c0b412a9f77f.jpg

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W model 34, 22LR revolver. It was my grandpas personal defense gun and he left it to me. Shoots great and is very accurate. Grandpa would want me to use it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't do much woods or ranch work these days, but when I did it was a S&W 629 Mountain Gun in a Bianchi 111 Cyclone holster. I usually wore it crossdraw. I could easily reach it under a coat or jacket and it was comfortable to wear on the tractor. The first round up was a CCI shotshell when working. I killed quite a few vermin with that round. The other 5 rounds would be CCI Blazer 200gr Gold Dot .44 Specials. Its a great SD load that clocks about 950fps out of a 4" barrel. I'd also have some 200gr RNLFP handloads in a 2X2X2 pouch. I used one of these to kill an alligator snapping turtle in one of my ponds that probably weighed 40-50 pounds. He came up right in front of me and took it right in the face. He was dead right there. When hunting I'd use the same gun loaded with Winchester 250gr Partition Gold ammo. The 629MG is a very versatile platform and barely weighs more than a K Frame .357.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
To carry, a Springfield commander .45 with a lot of miles on it. To hunt, .41 or .44 Ruger three screw blackhawk or three screw super blackhawk.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger Redhawk loaded with CorBon 305 grain solids. I want charging hogs to stop. Now. The only one I have shot at did. Immediately.

Getting a new (damned expensive) cross-draw holster that will hold either the Redhawk or the scoped Super Redhawk in a position enabling a much quicker deployment than my current vertical shoulder rig (which will soon be for sale--will also have a military pistol belt, modified leather holster, and mlitary suspenders if the new holster works out). Plan to use the Super on deer next season.

For those with smaller weapons, if you think hogs are a possibility, do yourself a favor and use solids rather than hollowpoints. Hollowpoints can really annoy a hog, and 9mm is simply not enough gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom