What is there to do in the Panhandle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I went out there for a few days several years ago. I think we stayed in Canton ( maybe Kanton) in a little cabin. Hiked up the messa and went to the dinosuar footprints another day. We really liked the seclusion of the area. On the drive out there we traveled 63 miles without meeting another car in the panhandle area. The pronghorn were mixed in with the cattle everywhere. I don't know how the cattleguards keep them in? lol

Kenton. Canton is on highway 51 west of Okarche.

Just not a lot of tourist attractions out there but that is the attraction. Right? If you make it all the way to Black Mesa, it's really not much farther on out to the volcano area in NW New Mexico.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they tore down all the stuff at optima recently. It isn't quite as creepy without all of the brand new abandoned facilities.

I didn't get the creepy feeling when I did some work at the "lake" at Optima some ten years ago. It was more of a feeling of curiosity. Then again, I was too busy trying to find a spot 100 yards below the high-and-dry boat ramps where I could launch the boat ;)

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought part of the beauty of the Panhandle is that there is very little to do?

I mean that seriously. Lots of empty space outdoors (like Black Mesa, Optima) and very little else to get in the way.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This week is the Woodward Rodeo. Longest running PRCA Rodeo in Oklahoma. Granted Woodward is on the very edge of the panhandle...kind of where the eggs get stuck on the heads of the bolts that hold the handle to the rest of the skillet...

The panhandle is God's country though...there are only two kinds of radio stations...Jesus and Jesus...one is Spanish and the other is Christian...

Latest posts

Top Bottom