Who all is waiting for their CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For us, the waiting game is for my spouse. She had her Sheriff's Office fingerprints rejected twice, and finally went to OSBI office in OKC to get them done. We fear that her application just went back in the "stack" at that time. As indicated above, apparently OSBI thinks the clock starts running on their statutory obligation when the finger prints are "processed".

Sounds like a call to the Speaker of the House (a big 2A advocate) is in order.

JMO.

LL

nimrod

Marksman
Reaction score
Sounds to me like some phone calls need to be made to our law makers and "Ginger" needs to be educated on what the law states. If the OSBI has processed your payment, the application has been received and that is when, by statute, the 60/90 day period starts. The statute is very clear and the OSBI is known for doing what ever the hell they want to do until someone holds their feet to the fire.

I don't think I put enough detail into the reason she gave me for when the 60/90 day period starts. I think it was worse than what I had previously posted.

The statute says that the 60/90 day period starts when a completed application is submitted, which would include the completed application form, money, course certificate, and fingerprint cards from the sheriff office. I understand why they wouldn't start until it is completed. But here is the thing. My application wasn't complete, because I didn't submit a certificate with an original signature on Dec. 17. It was a SNAFU with the instructor, no big deal really. OSBI was very helpful and responded to my calls in a timely manner. I submitted a signed copy on Dec. 31, and that should be when it is considered completed.

However, from what I was told, the application isnt considered complete until the fingerprint technician verifies that the fingerprint cards were an acceptable set. The fingerprint cards are just one of many steps to issuing the permit, just like they could say they haven't heard back from the Dept. of Mental Health, so they don't have to start the 60/90 day period. I can't find anything in the statute that says how long they have to verify the fingerprints, so it seems that they were looking for a way to put off getting it approved.

I understand that they are extremely busy with sudden rise in applications, and am willing to give a little leeway on the time. I would rather I have to be delayed a little than for the OSBI to cut corners and issue permits to people who shouldn't get one. But, to go and decide to interpret the statute to their convenience is a slippery slope that I do not like.

OSU_Chris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can sympathize with the fact that they are swamped with applications these days, however having worked with the OSBI on many occasions I know how they like to pull the bureaucratic BS to slow down the process to their liking. I agree with you on the fact that I would rather them not issue permits to those who shouldn't have one, but a large portion of their investigation process doesn't rely on the fingerprints and could be accomplished while waiting on corrected prints. Sure, they can argue that the application isn't complete until they have good prints but that is not in the applicant’s power.

We all need to remember that it is our God given right to own and bear arms. This permitting process is nothing more than the governments way of trying to issue us rights instead of ensuring we can exercise our rights.

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can sympathize with the fact that they are swamped with applications these days, however having worked with the OSBI on many occasions I know how they like to pull the bureaucratic BS to slow down the process to their liking. I agree with you on the fact that I would rather them not issue permits to those who shouldn't have one, but a large portion of their investigation process doesn't rely on the fingerprints and could be accomplished while waiting on corrected prints. Sure, they can argue that the application isn't complete until they have good prints but that is not in the applicant’s power.

We all need to remember that it is our God given right to own and bear arms. This permitting process is nothing more than the governments way of trying to issue us rights instead of ensuring we can exercise our rights.

How about we keep this on topic please and not turn it into another political thread...........:rolleyes2

skyhigh60699

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got mine today!! Turned in everything to Tulsa Co. SO on Dec. 10th. OSBI charged my CC on Dec. 17th. Issue date of permit is Feb. 15th. EXACTLY 60 days from the time the OSBI received it! Maybe the new hires are helping speed things up.

BigTuna

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got mine today!! Turned in everything to Tulsa Co. SO on Dec. 10th. OSBI charged my CC on Dec. 17th. Issue date of permit is Feb. 15th. EXACTLY 60 days from the time the OSBI received it! Maybe the new hires are helping speed things up.

I'm exactly 10 days behind you! Hopefully I'll get mine sometime before spring break.

SSgtL

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
60 days skyhigh...that makes me hopeful! OSBI cashed my money order feb 5th and I'm crossing my fingers that I get mine before March 30th...as that is when I'm taking a out of state trip. However, I will be in the great state of kentucky for most of my trip, and you don't need a license to open carry there. So I guess it won't be so bad if it doesn't come by then!

Latest posts

Top Bottom