Who makes the best washer and dryer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you that long for the sturdy built models that lasted 30 years and longer, you can still get a SpeedQueen. We have a set of the Whirlpool Cabrio HE and our washer sounds like a jet engine warming up in the spin cycle, because the bearings are going out. Apparently it's a SUPER common issue amongst MANY brands of newer washers. When it started making a rukus I started shopping for a replacement immediately because I figured it would be down & out very quickly, but it has been loudly running along for 2 years now. Based on my experience I would steer clear of the Cabrio, Duet, Neptune, Kenmore Elite, etc. lines as they all have this bearing issue that the manufacturers are ignoring.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about an Amana? Don't know much about them but didn't see it on the list either.

We bought a semi-basic Whirlpool about 5-6 years ago. Still works great. No electronic controls on the front. It is similar in features to this model here.

We also bought a corresponding dryer. Whirlpool. Nothing fancy but not the most basic either. that one we had some issues with. About a year after owning it it would shut off after running for about 10-15 minutes. Then we would let it sit for about 10 minutes and then start it up again at which point it would complete its cycle normally. But we had the service plan which helped quite a bit (Lowe's). I told my wife to just deal with the problem until just before the protection plan was going to run out (a few months) They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it for the longest time and they kept on replacing parts over the course of several calls until finally the repairman was authorized to replace the thermostat (which is what he said he had a hunch it was) or some really basic part. By that time we had received a new motor and drive belt, new control panel, and I think a new drum. Basically got a new dryer when the purchase plan expired :)

On most appliances and computers for that matter I have bought the protection plans and have usually ended up using them. Maybe its bad luck or maybe quality has declined to the point where the protection plan is how you buy up to an equivalent level of reliability as the old appliances. If that is the case might want to think about buying from a large retailer that offers a reasonable protection plan, costco (so that if its a piece of crap you can just return the thing no questions asked), or a squaretrade warranty (which I hear are good and certainly better priced than some crap from best buy - never used it though)

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whirlpool Commercial Heavy Duty if you can afford it. I think the washers are about 600. They have a small bucket thing to put clothes in so they cannot be overloaded plus they go for ever. I have a family member that runs a children home, each house has up to 15 people living in it with two washers that run multiple loads every day and they have had some of them for over 10 years.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We absolutely hated our new-fangled digital readout, auto door-locking, pieces of crap we paid $1500 for at Sears about 3 years ago. We donated them to the DAV and just went and got the cheapest, highest rated, old-fashioned top-loading pair we could find for around $600. Much happier and have cleaner and drier clothes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom