Who makes the best washer and dryer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pair of Maytags that I have had for over 30 years and they still work fine. Have replaced heating element in the dryer once. No other problems.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sucks washing diapers in a frontloader.

And it sucks washing them in a top loader. BTDT. But yea, I take the top loader.

I have a top loader because it's generally a simpler design, and less likely to have problems with leaking, mold, mildew. After working in appliance repair for 5+ years, I have a bias to buy the cheapest models and do what I can to service them myself. Usually the higher end models are the same bulkhead parts but with additional cycles or temperature settings. Regarding washers, I combat the inefficiency of my top loader by hand washing whatever I can (dress shirts, jeans) and wearing them a few times before even doing that (say, 3-4 if I am just sitting in the office).

As far as big box brands go, you have Whirlpool/Maytag (includes Roper, Kitchenaid, Maytag, Amana, Performa, Admiral, most Sears' Kenmore), GE (includes HotPoint), and then the Koreans (Samsung, LG). If you want arguably the best, try Asko ( http://www.askousa.com/ ).

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our top of the line Sammy front loaders with steam, silver and all that crap are still working great after 4+ years. I hope I didn't just jinx them...

Latest posts

Top Bottom