worth it or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I retired 23 years ago at age 50. I had pleanty of money; almost all invested in MCI WorldCom. They went belly-up and I lost a lot of money. That was 20 years ago. I never, once, considered going back to work. I have stayed occupied, restoring vintage cars and motorcycles. I have purchased, refurbished and sold a dozen houses and condos. I lived on a sailboat for a while. Life has certainly not been boring. For me, this would be a total no-brainer. Retire the earliest you can and never look back.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looking for opinions, so I have been trying to retire for a while and go live in Mexico on the cheap, last year I did just that then the entity I work for decided to flex on me and enforce a 1 year emergency clause in my contract ( covid blah,blah,blah) now that year is coming to an end and they just offered me $6700 a year raise to stay at least another year. what do you guys and gals think?
Go live in Ecuador …….and if you don’t need the money then pass ………..my job would have to pay an extra 67,000 to keep me in this misery one year longer than need be. That would be the minimum for consideration for me and I don’t know I would take it. It’s a calculation you have to make is the money worth it, do you e kit your job enough that the 6700 is gravy? Do you hate the job? How many years do you have left? How do you want to spend them? if you came back for a year could they get you for the emergency clause again and stretch it to two?

Last edited:

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a ways to go myself, but I've already told myself when I can go, I am going to retire. Been on base awhile now and seen a bunch of dudes die while still working. No thanks. I'm not trying to squeeze every penny out of life. Just need a small roof and my bike and my babe and everything else is whatever.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they offered that much for you to stay another year, probably more money on the table. Ask for more IF you want to stay another year.
With little details about yourself, i think this is some of the most sage advice on here.

That being said. My decision would come down to my age and my current income. If I'm 63ish+ and making $50-$70K per year then I'd be looking at staying for the extra money AFTER I negotiated that $6700 up to $12-$16K for the year. Most companies will not offer $6700 to an average employee or a "guy they like". There is a reason why they are asking you to stay for the money they offer and it isn't because your a swell guy. You have a particular skill set, knowledge of their product or industry or customer base they want to keep you around for. This means they have a ceiling for what they are willing to offer you to stay. THeir first offer is low, like any offer a company initially offers. If it's worth it to you to stay, I'd counter offer at about $16K and see what they say. This extra money may make a difference in your personal retirement or your social security check.

Now, If I'm 53-58 years old and making $100K+ per year and I have the money to retire and my job is, meh, then I probably don't take the money and run to Mexico. Well, not me, as I think MX is a dump and it would be like living in a nice cheap, gated community surrounded by Los Angeles.

THese treads always facinate me as I always put myself in these scenarios. Is Saddlebum willing to give his age and approx current income? Not trying to ask personal stuff but I'll think of this delima for myslef for the next several days now. Whatever you choose, best of luck making it happen the way you want.

Now, if you are

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With little details about yourself, i think this is some of the most sage advice on here.

That being said. My decision would come down to my age and my current income. If I'm 63ish+ and making $50-$70K per year then I'd be looking at staying for the extra money AFTER I negotiated that $6700 up to $12-$16K for the year. Most companies will not offer $6700 to an average employee or a "guy they like". There is a reason why they are asking you to stay for the money they offer and it isn't because your a swell guy. You have a particular skill set, knowledge of their product or industry or customer base they want to keep you around for. This means they have a ceiling for what they are willing to offer you to stay. THeir first offer is low, like any offer a company initially offers. If it's worth it to you to stay, I'd counter offer at about $16K and see what they say. This extra money may make a difference in your personal retirement or your social security check.

Now, If I'm 53-58 years old and making $100K+ per year and I have the money to retire and my job is, meh, then I probably don't take the money and run to Mexico. Well, not me, as I think MX is a dump and it would be like living in a nice cheap, gated community surrounded by Los Angeles.

THese treads always facinate me as I always put myself in these scenarios. Is Saddlebum willing to give his age and approx current income? Not trying to ask personal stuff but I'll think of this delima for myslef for the next several days now. Whatever you choose, best of luck making it happen the way you want.

Now, if you are
it is a government agency and I'm a contract employee , I'm almost 62 and $83,000 total compensation . they say there is no more money thats the best they can do. I have been divorced 4 times ( slow learner) so I don't have a lot saved for retirement would be much better off on ss if I wait 5 more years .don't think I have 5 more in me

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom