Would You Enlist Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were a young person, knowing what you know now, would you join the military again?

• Yes

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, but I didn't have a choice. Draft notice in hand and went to the recruiter.
With all the wokeness and BS the military are subjected now just like it's going in the workplace, I wouldn't make it long before a dishonorable discharge if I were subjected to the training they are putting on now.

I've talked to the younger guys that are still at the power plant I retired from. They say I wouldn't make it there now, not because of job skills but because I didn't put up with the enhanced safety bullshat and social training they are having to endure in the workplace.
You can't get your work done because of "safety regulations" put in place by pups wet behind the ears that just got a college industrial safety degree without one day of actual work in his background.
Well, it has the "potential" to be dangerous, therefore I have to designate this area as dangerous, and the safety BS starts.
Your required to wear a harness to get into a 10 foot high scaffold with double rails? Give me a freeking break. I did that job with a ladder and a bag of tools and a step ladder just like every instrument guy did it before me since the plant was built in the 70's and nobody ever got hurt, but the college boy saw the "potential for safety" and made that 30 minute job to change the thermocouple in the belly of the turbine from a 30 minute job to a three day job.
Stupidly insane thinking.
From what I'm hearing, the military is going down this same rabbit hole which is why they can't get recruits that actually want to serve.
The whole country is an HR nightmare nowadays.

okgunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
bbec99f1d88f7ef7.jpeg

Proud to serve in the US Army!

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was seriously considering enlisting until the recruiter told me I would have to relinquish my parental right until I got out of basic training. I knew if I ever gave any of my family that power I'd never see my kids again.

While I don't regret putting my kids first, I do regret missing the opportunity to serve. I almost enlisted straight out of high school but that was a BIG no-no for girls back in the day -- especially "educated girls" who parents believed a girl had 2 choices -- become a housewife or go to college and become Mary Tyler Moore. 🙄🙄🙄 Man if I had it to do over again ... 🤷🤷 But I guess that's what all us OGs say ... 😉😏😁

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. Although, I suppose it's a complex question. I wouldn't want to give up some of the training and experiences, but most of my time was wasted. "Hurry up and wait" is an understatement of the reality. I swore "the" oath to 3 different agencies; federal, state, and local. The Army was the worst of the three. I learned much more in the other two and would not trade the time spent there, but I would not encourage any of my boys to follow the path I took. I'm so thankful they have other options.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was Army, Brother was AirForce, I was in a hole, he was in a hotel.
Who said that today's kids aren't smarter than their parents! I was Army but my son went Air Force . . . but then again the 'smarter' thing doesn't seem to always hold true . . . daughter went Marine Corps 🤣

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who said that today's kids aren't smarter than their parents! I was Army but my son went Air Force . . . but then again the 'smarter' thing doesn't seem to always hold true . . . daughter went Marine Corps 🤣

Lol ... Grumpy was USAF. His brother was a Marine. Last time we had dinner with him and his wife I asked him why he joined the Marines instead of going in the Air Force, like Grumpy (Grumpy's the oldest.) He said because no matter how old they got that was the ONE thing he could always hold over Scott's head. That HE was the TOUGHEST kid their folks had and he'd die whipping Scott's ass to prove it. 😂😂😂 I bet your daughter has something similar in mind for your son from now on. Every single Marine I've ever met was that way! "I'll kill you or die trying!" 😂😂😂

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not a chance! Not even a chance. My Dad sat me and my twin brother down after high school graduation and told us we had 6 months to get out of his house. He recommended the military. Dumbest thing we ever did. If you hate your wife and kids, love the thought of multiple divorces and never want to be home, it’s great. You work like a dog, twelve hour days, 7 days a week for months on end, plus duty every few days isn’t unheard of. It’s ridiculous how little these kids get paid for how much they sacrifice. When I joined in 1985 I made $310 every 2 weeks. I could have worked double shifts at McDonald’s, worked my way through college and still made more than the military and worked less. We still have families in the military on food stamps. Yet we send billions to other countries for ********. Nope not a chance in hell! I still love the Marines, every single one, but I would never advise anyone to go in the military.

Latest posts

Top Bottom