Would You Enlist Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were a young person, knowing what you know now, would you join the military again?

• Yes

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100% would do it again. We encouraged our kids to as well.

Our middle child is now well into her first overseas assignment and is loving it. Attending her basic training graduation well over a decade after my retirement was amazing.

Our oldest is working towards joining too.

View attachment 389810View attachment 389811View attachment 389812
So besides the Air Force, it appears that you also spent some time in the Army. Care to compare the two Branches? 😊

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So besides the Air Force, it appears that you also spent some time in the Army. Care to compare the two Branches? 😊
No, never served in the Army…but I spent a long time right next to them in the same mud in various locations around the world LOL.

I could write a book full of comparisons…but time has tempered my enthusiasm to demean the other branches. Haha! They all do stupid stuff and they all excel at other stuff. Some of my best battle buddies were Army and some of my worst were USAF…and vice versa.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, never served in the Army…but I spent a long time right next to them in the same mud in various locations around the world LOL.

I could write a book full of comparisons…but time has tempered my enthusiasm to demean the other branches. Haha! They all do stupid stuff and they all excel at other stuff. Some of my best battle buddies were Army and some of my worst were USAF…and vice versa.
Great! Just asking because I noticed that one of the Service Ribbons on your 'rack' in the enclosed photo was that of the Army Commendation Medal/Ribbon that is NOT typically awarded to non-Army Branch personnel. I was just curious about the story behind you receiving it.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never served but my father had two construction companies, and the unionized company's bread and butter was for the DoD in Fort Knox, Ky. I worked on the base (back when it was still an armored unit).

I remember a soldier emptying trash in one of the tank shops, singing that commercial song (circa 80s), "Be all you can be, join the Army.."

He was being sarcastic. I got a kick out of it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great! Just asking because I noticed that one of the Service Ribbons on your 'rack' in the enclosed photo was that of the Army Commendation Medal/Ribbon that is NOT typically awarded to non-Army Branch personnel. I was just curious about the story behind you receiving it.
Ah, I see. There are actually more examples of it occurring in the last few decades. Especially after 9/11 when joint operations became much more common. That one showed up in the mail after a deployment to Central/South America IIRC.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, Not in today's military

You Can’t Make This Up: U.S. Army Celebrates Trans Major Rachel Jones’ Journey from Depression to Authenticity in Celebration of LGBTQ+ Pride​

You Can't Make This Up: U.S. Army Celebrates Trans Major Rachel Jones' Journey from Depression to Authenticity in Celebration of LGBTQ+ Pride (VIDEO) | The Gateway Pundit | by Jim Hoft | 120
IMG_1211.JPG

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You Can’t Make This Up: U.S. Army Celebrates Trans Major Rachel Jones’ Journey from Depression to Authenticity in Celebration of LGBTQ+ Pride​

You Can't Make This Up: U.S. Army Celebrates Trans Major Rachel Jones' Journey from Depression to Authenticity in Celebration of LGBTQ+ Pride (VIDEO) | The Gateway Pundit | by Jim Hoft | 120
View attachment 389845
Having enlisted in and being a proud member of the 'OLD' Army, I'm turning-over in my grave . . . and I ain't even buried yet :hellno:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never served but my father had two construction companies, and the unionized company's bread and butter was for the DoD in Fort Knox, Ky. I worked on the base (back when it was still an armored unit).

I remember a soldier emptying trash in one of the tank shops, singing that commercial song (circa 80s), "Be all you can be, join the Army.."

He was being sarcastic. I got a kick out of it.
I attended an Army Satellite Communications school at Ft. Gordon, GA, in 1986. I was the class leader, and an Air Force Technical Sergeant. I'd ask them "Why limit yourselves?" Must admit that there were some crazies, there. One of the instructors, an SFC, was from Puerto Rico, and got asked the "You aren't from around here, are you?" question. His answer was "I'm from farther south than all of y'all!" That's my kind of crazy! ;)

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 389845

This is just one reason why I wouldn't re enlist. Just like a Virgina Slim Ad you've come a long way baby and not in a good way either .

Latest posts

Top Bottom