Any of you folks work in a new car Dealership?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work in a dealership service department.

I sell aftermarket wheels and tires to new car dealers... Kinda offer a one call shop service... When I walk into a dealer, the first place I go is parts.. it seems most dealerships run the wheels and tires through parts.. That way parts makes a buck on the inventory.

It's just still a little foreign to me.. only 2 months into this gig... I've sold wholesale and retail in this line forever.... New vehicle dealers are different critters lol

Thanks Flimflam.. I'm reading that story now.. It's a very nice read!

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sell aftermarket wheels and tires to new car dealers... Kinda offer a one call shop service... When I walk into a dealer, the first place I go is parts.. it seems most dealerships run the wheels and tires through parts.. That way parts makes a buck on the inventory.

It's just still a little foreign to me.. only 2 months into this gig... I've sold wholesale and retail in this line forever.... New vehicle dealers are different critters lol

Depending on what it is you sell, you should also touch base with the new car/truck department managers. Not only do dealerships run the aftermarket through parts, they'll also "dress up" units on the lot and add an addendum to the window sticker.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is correct. If we buy tires, wheels, radiators, anything like that, it all goes through the parts dept and then gets marked up when billed out on the ticket or charged to the unit. We basically make money off different departments. The end cost is tacked onto the vehicle.

You can talk to parts about selling your product, but it's really the new car managers that will make the decision if they want to put wheel on cars. Our managers tell the parts guys what they want and then parts dept order it and sell it to the new car department. The new car guys tack it onto the price of the vehicle plus some more mark up. So parts makes money and so does the new car department. Lots of our new QX56's leave our store with wheels.

Most parts guys hate dealing with it, make sure you talk to the sales department.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is correct. If we buy tires, wheels, radiators, anything like that, it all goes through the parts dept and then gets marked up when billed out on the ticket or charged to the unit. We basically make money off different departments. The end cost is tacked onto the vehicle.

You can talk to parts about selling your product, but it's really the new car managers that will make the decision if they want to put wheel on cars. Our managers tell the parts guys what they want and then parts dept order it and sell it to the new car department. The new car guys tack it onto the price of the vehicle plus some more mark up. So parts makes money and so does the new car department. Lots of our new QX56's leave our store with wheels.

Most parts guys hate dealing with it, make sure you talk to the sales department.

Thanks Piston

Latest posts

Top Bottom